Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much DE

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much DE

Hello all!

I did a backwash the other day and I don't think I did it quite long enough. I swore the water was running clear by the time I stopped and then I added 80% of the amount of DE that is called for. Then today, I went to release some air from the filter because I had just put the vacuum in to run, and I saw tons of white particles come out with the water. Looked just like DE. Because of this, I am assuming I added too much. Can I just do another backwash to get rid of it? I'd assume do another full backwash and then still add 80% back, but my assumptions with this pool can be very wrong- that's why I'm here!

Thanks for your help!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much DE

Yes you can just backwash again ... you should cycle it a few times in the process. See:
    use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ahh I see that! Because I didn't have a rinse part, I assumed I didn't do that.. But now that I continued reading, I see I had it wrong. Will backwash again tonight! Thank you!

13,000 gallon plaster salt water pool. Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG (APURE1400)

4. Back To Top    #4

One more question! Is it safe to swim in the pool with this extra DE coming out? I plan on back washing my tomorrow afternoon, but just in case my in laws went swimming in the morning....

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think it poses any danger once it is in the water ... just a health hazard if you breathe it in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much!

7. Back To Top    #7

I suppose it could be irritating if you got it in your eyes though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator