To inspect or not to inspect?

Cubist

Apr 26, 2013
Hi everyone.

We are in the process of buying a house with an enclosed IG pool. For people that have bought homes with existing pools, did you opt for a pool inspection, or pass?

My situation may be a bit unique, but here goes: The pool is currently closed for the season. The house was not really occupied last year. Although, I was told that it was professionally closed this past fall. In an effort to see if there were any known issues with the pool, part of my initial offer on the house was that the pool would be cleaned & opened for the season. The seller had no issue with that & agreed to have the pool opened. Once it is opened, I have 10 days to have it professionally inspected if I want. An offer to meet with the local pool company for the opening was also extended to me, which I planning to take advantage of. I was told they would teach me how to operate the pumps/ heater/ valves etc with no problem & kind of give me a crash course on the pool.

I figured if the pool had any issues, I would be able to find that out during the opening & ask them any questions.

A very close family friend (kind of a pseudo-uncle to me), who unfortunately lives out of state, was a pool builder/ supplies dealer & has offered to help me out down the road if I needed advice or help. I asked him if getting a pool inspection would be huge waste of money or if I should get one done. He said that the guys that come out to open the pool would be way more helpful than an inspector & likely more knowledgeable too.

What are your experiences/ pieces of advice?

Also,

I may be leaning on you guys a lot in the beginning for advice, past experience, and to keep me from throwing in the towel on my first pool. Thanks in advance!

We will be at the house for a few hours on Monday for the general home inspection. Any info I can bring back with me that may be helpful?

I'll take pictures of course!

I did not have a special pool inspection. It was a green swamp that was holding water, and the house was vacant and sold as-is anyway. So I just had to deal with what I found ... which was nothing wrong except very old plaster that we re-did.

I tend to agree with your "uncle" that any huge issues should be fairly obvious in the course of opening the pool. But, I am not sure what a "pool inspector" would do that is different than what would be done to look at and open the pool.

I agree with Richard, I had multiple issue with newly purchased house, warranty originally was not included But I was able to add as a small amt to the premium to include pool. I would also suggest a 2 year policy.

Thanks guys. The pool was renovated in 2011. I have a $17k invoice and the company info for the PB that did the work. I'm not expecting any issues, I don't want one either. I'll check on including it in a home warranty. I hadn't even really thought much about a home warranty. Good idea though, I bet.

Cubist said:
Thanks guys. The pool was renovated in 2011. I have a $17k invoice and the company info for the PB that did the work. I'm not expecting any issues, I don't want one either. I'll check on including it in a home warranty. I hadn't even really thought much about a home warranty. Good idea though, I bet.

I got mine inspected to prevent any questions with the home warranty later (inspection was in the $100 range). Inspector was a MORON ... but I digress. Don't plan to get anything out of the inspection and don't believe the inspection, its just an opportunity for the local yahoo to get MORE of your $$$. They will find a bunch of little things, my favorite was "Skimmer basket Cracked - $50 ... labor $20. EACH."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.