Hayward heater H400

May 10, 2013
My dog has ripped off the wires to the hi limit switches. I have a purple, turquoise, and red wire, but I do not know how they reattach. I have the manual, but I can not figure it out from that. I had an "authorized servicer" out yesterday who had absolutely no idea what he was doing! Called another today, and he said because of the age of the heater (10 years old) the whole heater may just need replaced. I certainly would like to have the wires reattached before that is determined. I am having such horrible luck with pool servicers. :hammer: Can anyone help me put the wires back together, or give me any other ideas!? Please!?

She pulled them off the limits. She severed the wires from the clip attachments of the turquoise and purple wire. The red wire is still completely intact. So from what I can tell, the purple and red wire were on one limit together, but I can't figure out anything beyond that. I can post a picture if that helps.

The violet wire connects the two limits together. The blue wire goes onto the top limit and then runs to the pressure switch. The red wire goes on the bottom limit and then runs to the terminal block on the inside of the heater.

Here is a link to the manual. Page 16 shows the wiring diagram. You should look over on the right side of the image and you will see how the wires go.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... s-Hxxx.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SO GRATEFUL for your information! Another question: would the heater attempt to fire up or work at all without these wires attached, or would it be completely disabled? Only asking that in anticipation of trouble shooting further once I get the wires reattached. It has been several years that they have been off. I am going to reattach it all today, keeping my fingers crossed, stay tuned please. :) Side note: would you believe that the "authorized servicer" that came out this week attached the purple and blue wire together with a plastic wire connector, then connected it to the limiter!? I don't know much, but I certainly knew that was nowhere near correct. I kept questioning him on it, and he just kept giving me a blank stare.

OH MY GOSH!!! Literally crying and jumping for joy right now. (yes, I am female :wink: ) Attached the wires, and the heater fired right up. This has been SIX years of an unusable heater! Not for lack of trying, I tried and tried to figure this out through the years and was never able to until now. I can not thank you enough!!!!

Just to be sure, this is how I connected them:

Now my next question: this fitting is leaking just a bit. Is it an easy fix? :-D

The only thing you can try on the leaking fitting is to get a large adjustable pliers and try to gently snug it down some. If you do too much you could crack it and then you have to deal with replacing it.

Unless the union nut has been removed for some reason, you shouldn't need to lube the oring. Plus, many times once you remove the union nut, you will have a heck of a time getting it back together. Just try and see if you can tighten it a little. Don't over due it.

So, after finally fixing the heater and using it one time, tried to use it again tonight, and absolutely nothing....... :(

Any ideas of what to do now? I'm so upset that it finally got fixed, worked beautifully, and now nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.