My new test kit came and some of the results I got were a bit disturbing.
CL a bit low, but I can fix that
CH couldn't get a handle on this one. Either it's way too high, or I'm doing it wrong.
CYA 180 is my estimate. I could only get about a quater inch of water in the tube before I couldn't see the black dot anymore. 150 is as high as the indicators on the tube read.
Am currently waiting on an order of chemicals. We don't have a pool store here, so I'm getting by with what I have. I've been using some bleach to offset the amount of tri-chlor pucks I use, but the CYA is so high that I fear I may have to drain most of the pool to get it back under control.
Also am using Borax when I can get it to raise the PH. Some weeks I get some, some weeks I don't. Have been out of PH up/soda ash for some time now. I've also rigged a garden hose with a sprayer so I can aerate the water as I fill it. I'm hoping this raises the PH as well.
The algae is getting bad. The black algae is the worst. I have to go in on scuba and scrub it with a wire brush, then come back and rub chlorine directly on what's left. I think the CYA is so high that the chlorine is nearly ineffective and the algae is taking over. Currently have nothing to treat it with.
The filter grid also has a hole in it and we've run out of replacements. They've been going at regular intervals now. I fear that the water chemistry is so harsh that it's burning them up. Either that or after five years sitting around they're a bit weak. New ones are coming on the order, whenever that gets here. Been waiting since October.
Any advice would be quite welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this.