Used gas heater price?

Jun 30, 2012
Boardman, Ohio
We installed our 24' round Matrix pool on Monday. We were so indecisive about how to heat that we didn't buy anything yet. My hubby was mentioning this indecision to a friend of his and the guy mentioned that he has a used gas heater in his garage. The guy is a plumber and ended up with it when some customer couldn't pay their bill and offered the heater. He used it for one season on his own pool then they moved to a house with no pool. It was a year old when he got it. Sooo although it appears to have been manufactured in 2005, it's only been used for two seasons. We live in northeast Ohio and the swim season is pretty darn short.

It's a Pentair MiniMax CH 250k btu natural gas

My husband asked him what he wants for it and said "I don't know what it's worth. Just give me what you think it's worth." They're both trying to be super nice but no one can come up with a price that way! I looked it up and it's around $1800 new but new and used values don't always correlate for things.

Just wondering if anyone here has a suggestion as to what we should give him?

Used heaters are very much a gamble. They can be damaged by poor water chemistry, and it can be difficult to tell until you use them. At the very least, make sure your deal is based on the unit working.

It's definitely based on the unit working well. In fact, he has said to go ahead and hook it up and use it for a few weeks before we even pay him anything. He's a friend and a good guy. We don't want to give him too little but we don't want to give him too much either, kwim?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.