Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: OTO Chlorine test

OTO Chlorine test

In looking at the two recommended test kits (TF-100 and K-2006), the K-2006 does not have the OTO chlorine test. What do you need the OTO test (total chlorine?) for, if you can test the FC and CC? Thanks for the info...
    Houston Area
    33' dia AG, 24k gallons
    2 hp pump, Sand Filter

Re: OTO Chlorine test

The OTO test is cheaper and faster to run. It's fine for daily checks and as a backup when shock levels can cause you to question what is going on with the FAS-DPD test.

The TF-100 ends up being a better value because you get the OTO and the larger sizes in the other tests.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by AnneH
    In looking at the two recommended test kits (TF-100 and K-2006), the K-2006 does not have the OTO chlorine test. What do you need the OTO test (total chlorine?) for, if you can test the FC and CC? Thanks for the info...
    The OTO test also never bleaches out. If FC is above the test range, it goes through shades of orange and brown. The DPD test can bleach out at super high FC and mislead you. You don't really need either of them with the FAS-DPD test, but since they don't make a pH test block without FC on the other side, you might as well have the better one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneH
    The OTO test also never bleaches out. If FC is above the test range, it goes through shades of orange and brown. The DPD test can bleach out at super high FC and mislead you. You don't really need either of them with the FAS-DPD test, but since they don't make a pH test block without FC on the other side, you might as well have the better one.
    May I have the pleasure of introducing you to Taylor Part # 9058?:

I don't have any OTO equipment any more and I don't miss it. (I used to use it for decades when it was the only test available.) I still have the DPD stuff that came with my original K-2000 Taylor (long since upgraded to a hybrid K-2006 with TFT CYA test), and I never use that either. FAS-DPD is all I need.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

Thank-you!
    Houston Area
    33' dia AG, 24k gallons
    2 hp pump, Sand Filter