Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool renderings

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool renderings

Received these from the builder we are going to go with. Still not too late to change the design though so we are open to suggestions.

40x20
    Hayward Ecostar
    Hayward Aquarite
    Hayward Sharkv
    Hayward Progrid DE48
    Raypac Heat pump R8350ti
    2" PVC
    vinyl over steps
    bench
    8' deep end
    3 returns minimum

Haven't picked out pavers yet. Welcome to ideas/pictures on these as well. Will either go with Techo Bloc or Cambridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (184.4 KB, 208 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (220.0 KB, 208 views)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool renderings

nuclear:

Looks like a nice setup. I don't see anything "gimmicky" that jumps out at me in your list. Don't see a pool light, though. If it were me, I would add that along with a 4th return.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Didn't list everything as I am at work and don't have the contract with me. They include a basic 500w light.

And I misspoke on the returns, there are 5. I meant to say 3 skimmers.

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

The Ecostar is likely overkill since I do not see anything the would require varying amounts of water flow (waterfeatures, spas, etc).

How much is your electricity? Might save a good bit of money just going with a smaller 2-speed pump.

Any idea of the pool's volume? Going with the 60 sqft DE might be a good idea as well and not likely much more $.

Are all skimmers and drains plumbed separately to the equipment pad? 3 skimmers seems kind of excessive ... you may need to run a large pump just to keep them all working well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Monster pool!!
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks nice, if it were me I would add a couple of extra return fittings what were backed with dummy pipes to allow the addition of nicheless LED lights later on if you want them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The Ecostar is likely overkill since I do not see anything the would require varying amounts of water flow (waterfeatures, spas, etc).

How much is your electricity? Might save a good bit of money just going with a smaller 2-speed pump.

Any idea of the pool's volume? Going with the 60 sqft DE might be a good idea as well and not likely much more $.

Are all skimmers and drains plumbed separately to the equipment pad? 3 skimmers seems kind of excessive ... you may need to run a large pump just to keep them all working well.
    You are correct, there are no other water features. The pump is what the builder supplies. Electric rates on Long Island are some of the highest in the country, but if you buy certain VSP's you get a $400 rebate from the power company.

No clue what the volume would be. Would it be advantageous to go with the 60?

Skimmers and drains are plumbed separately.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Looks nice, if it were me I would add a couple of extra return fittings what were backed with dummy pipes to allow the addition of nicheless LED lights later on if you want them.
    Interesting idea.

9. Back To Top    #9

how deep does the pool get?

I would estimate you are around 22k gallons. For that size pool, the minimum DE filter we would recommend is 60 sqft. This will reduce how often you have to clean the filter. But, for a shorter season, you might be fine with the smaller filter, just have to clean more often ... There should be < $75 difference between the 2 and the larger one should make life easier.

With a $400 rebate, that makes the choice of a VS pump much more worthwhile ... we get a whopping $0 rebate where I am.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

8' in the deep end

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, my estimate of 22k was based on an average of 4' ... so you may be a little more than 22k and I would CERTAINLY then recommend at least the 60 sqft DE filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

jbliz beat me...

Guessing here, but I think your pool is about 24000 gallons. As jbliz said, I would go with a larger DE filter, we would recommend a minimum of 68 sq. ft. DE filter for that volume pool.

The superpump vs or the maxflo vs will likely work if you do not have high volume water features.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll look into the 60sqft DE, builder is coming over our house tomorrow anyway.

What are the reasons behind not going with the Ecostar?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The superpump vs or the maxflo vs will likely work if you do not have high volume water features.
    True. But, wonder if they are too new to be recognized for a rebate? Or maybe the rebate is much less $ to not make it worth it initially.

The Ecostar is a HUGE pump on high speed and you have no need to ever be running that high. They are also expensive. As linen mentioned, there are a couple much smaller VS pumps that are now available that would be cheaper, but not sure if the rebate changes that story.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Just checked, rebate applies to all of the following Hayward pumps:

Variable Speed Hayward 2.00 TriStar Energy Solution SP322063EEV Select either variable speed drive: SP3220VSC (Stand-Alone) or SP3220VSCAQL (for use with Hayward Pro Logic controller).
    Variable Speed Hayward 2.00 EcoStar SP3400VSP
    Variable Speed Hayward 1.50 Super Pump VS SP2600VSP
    Variable Speed Hayward 1.50 Max-Flo VS SP2300VSP
    Variable Speed Hayward 2.00 EcoStar w/ SVRS SP3400VSPVR

16. Back To Top    #16

Have you seen the treadtex liner material? It has just the slightest texture to it vs. regular liner surface BUT it makes all the difference in the slipperiness of the steps. IF i could do my liner over i would get it ALL made out of tread-tex and have no border, we slip n slide all over the shallow end trying to play volleyball.

We chose the tread-tex pattern we liked, and that determined what choices we had for the rest of the liner to get them to match. We went with Blue Granite, it does not look like what it does in the picture below, it looks just like the blue granite liner material.

http://stcyrpoolandspa.com/vinyl-liners/options/ bottom of that page are two examples
    http://elite.surfthepool.com/wp-content ... Liners.pdf page 31 shows more options in tread-tex.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

17. Back To Top    #17

Would consider treadtex, but right now we are seriously thinking about getting a sandstone liner and I don't think it is available in that color.

18. Back To Top    #18

If it is a $400 rebate for all of those, I think the 1.5 Super Pump might be plenty of power at it is likely $200-300 cheaper than the Ecostar upfront.
    Jason, TFP Moderator