Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Attempted pool-storeing... over granular Cl

1. Back To Top    #1

Attempted pool-storeing... over granular Cl

I have a SWG, but I always keep about 3 refillable jugs of 12% Cl in the cupboard for tweaking and shocking. Before last winter close I dumped what I had remaining into the water so I had to replenish the stock. I was taking my son to a practice and ran out to a close by pool store to get a fill.

I was educated by a very irate and impassioned sales person that they never have (and never would) sell liquid Cl. They use granular. They pour them in front of a jet, and sweep them around if needed to dissolve, and a little light shines down from the heavens to illuminate the area where granular was added.

Apparently:
    • a> they buy granular in bulk so it is cheaper for me
      b> Cl is far too dangerous to handle
      c> there is SO much work to use liquid of diluting and pouring to use it safely
      d> granular requires no work and once you train it, will get you a beer as you add it

Which launched a story about how they have SOOO many clients who they go to and there is no pattern left on the liner because they pour in the liquid - "It's heavier then water you know? It sinks right to the bottom and will eat the liner"... and I think a hole through the bedrock to the middle of the earth. (hey - that might help with my pool heating...).

I didn't argue, I just thanked her and left the store.
    Josh S
    ----------------------------
    20.8k gal vinyl kidney; 600sqft surf area, Hayward 1HP Super; 300Lb Sand Filter; Aqua-Rite/T-9; RainbowRay LEDs, Jandy Deck Jets; and a whole 'lotta sweat n time...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Attempted pool-storeing... over granular Cl

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Item d> is not true! My pool store told me the same thing! I threw dichlor at my house and said "Get me a beer" and it just sat on the deck mocking me.

After it rained, I never saw it again.

16' X 24' Wilkes Pools "Genesis", 10K Gal
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp, & 18" Pro Series sand (S180T)

4. Back To Top    #4

It's also pretty funny to note that every pool service truck I've ever seen has orange and yellow crates just full of acid and 12.5% sodium hypochlorite riding in the back next to the vacuum hose and the poles. Yep. Every last one of them - and there are a lot in Southern California.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Felt bad for an older couple in the pool store last weekend. Lamenting that they could not keep chlorine in the pool while asking the clerk where the tabs and floaters and liquid shock were.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Felt bad for an older couple in the pool store last weekend. Lamenting that they could not keep chlorine in the pool while asking the clerk where the tabs and floaters and liquid shock were.
    Next time be a good neighbor and tell them about pool school and TFP. I have done this a few times and they were very receptive actually.
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thought about it, but I did not think they would "get it" with our newfangled thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiccolli
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Next time be a good neighbor and tell them about pool school and TFP. I have done this a few times and they were very receptive actually.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG