Pump Repair/Replacement - General Upgrades

Jul 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I went to open this past weekend and my pump was seized. I turned off the power, reached through the strainer area and attempted to turn the impeller. It would not turn. I took the back off the pump and attempted to turn the screw which turns the motor and could not. Anyways, I'm taking it to a pool store today to see if it can be repaired or if I should replace it. As you can see from the pictures it's a Hayward Super Pump, but the sticker is gone so I have no idea the HP. I was reading on the Hayward site and did the calculations, I should have a 1/2HP pump based on my pool size and 8.75 ft of head. I had to remove the pump from the plumbing because all of the bolts holding the motor side to the wet side were completely rusted and unmovable. My questions...

1. Does this pump look worthy of repair, or should I just replace, if so, does the 1/2HP sound right?
2. If I were to replace, ideally I'd get a VS pump, but that's just not in the budget now. Is a $50 timer a worthy investment?
3. My plumbing looks extremely simple. We bought this house with the equipment and I'm slowly seeing the previous owners cut corners everywhere. Is this plumbing sufficient? Are there areas of improvement?

THANKS!!! :party:

8726282998_7574547dca_z.jpg

8726282816_d5dbae3434.jpg

8726282878_d1cea30a4a.jpg

8725165479_741a3061e3.jpg

8725165507_b8eb039a25.jpg

8726282948_12cbbda702.jpg

8726282972_03a29d7f1b.jpg

8725165579_8505288aca.jpg

esn13_jrr14 said:
I took the back off the pump and attempted to turn the screw which turns the motor and could not.
I think you might have just saved me $500...I disconnected the pump last night and looked it over in the shop but didn't do anything. After reading your quote I just went and tried turning the screw...Mine has some mechanical switch covering the screw so I slipped a small pair of channel locks in there and it wasn't turning. I applied a bit more pressure and BOOM...It's turning. At first it was crusty sounding but now it spins like a dream. Must have been dirty from the winter? Assuming that's all it was/is...How can I lube this thing?

I'm going to hook it up and see if it works. As much as I would like to update the pump...I'd rather do it when I want VS having to.

Dirt Daubers love to make nests in electric motors around here....

I am sure there is some insect in every part of the world that will do the same, causing the same issue.

Started 2 polaris pumps like that this year...

msumoose said:
Dirt Daubers love to make nests in electric motors around here....
Yeah for sure...An earwig blew a capacitor in my AC unit one year. I guess they like nesting on warm switches. I replaced it myself for $20.

Can a pump be lubed or is it not necessary?
Will clearing it out with my air compressor be good enough?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.