I don't think it's algae - the local pool store does

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
I wanted to get this out here before I do anything. I've got something going on and I need help figuring it out. I had this happen a little last year but it wasn't as bad.

Five days ago, I had what looked like algae at the bottom of the pool - little clusters of green patches. This is what I had last year that looked like algae, but it just turned out to be some sort of debris. It is not now, or ever been on the sides of the pool - only on the bottom. I assume it's some type of pollen. Anyway, I vacuumed most of it to waste. Some of it seems to be a little stubborn and didn't want to come off so I just brushed it into the water column assuming that the filter would catch it. When I did this, the water became cloudy. It was a white cloudy - not green. FC was at 6 - where I always keep it and I had no CC's so I was assured that it wasn't some kind of algae.

Now I have a green cloudy water. Yesterday I brought it up to shock level using the charts here (I only use bleach - I'm using the BBB method) and tested last night and this morning. (My CYA is at about 40) I didn't loose any chlorine last night and I got a reading of zero CC's today and last night. I'm using the TFTest kits. Doesn't sound like algae to me.

So, I called the local pool store and he told me that the pool probably had what was called a "chlorine lock" and I need to shock even higher. He then proceeded to tell me about all of these high-priced shock and algaecide products that he wanted to sell me. It all sounded foreign to me but before I do anything, I wanted to run it by the folks here to see what kind of reaction I get. I trust the advice here first.

My theory is that it's likely pollen. I've had the pool open for a while now (not swimming yet) and the pool has pretty much been exposed to the entire heavy pollination season. Whatever it is, my sand filter is not pulling it out. If this is the case, besides adding a diatom setup, is there another way to filter this out?

If there is anything else that you need to know, please ask.

Trust your gut. No overnight loss its likely pollen. Pool store guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Try skimmer socks/nylon knee highs over your skimmer basket, a little DE in the filter couldn't hurt either, before and after you vacuum. If you vacuum to waste just do the DE after.

Just for illustrative purposes.

[center:3733rx1y]
greenpool.jpg
[/center:3733rx1y]

Thanks for the ideas. I'll update as I progress along with this.

Just an update - I put a nylon sock over the skimmer basket and I've pulled a few baskets full of this soft whitish/green tree gunk out, so that's what it is. The pool doesn't look a whole lot clearer yet, but some.

If I decide to buy the DE media, where is the best place to buy? It doesn't sound like I'll need all that much to add to my sand filter, and I think I've seen in it 25lb. bags.

moze229 said:
Just an update - I put a nylon sock over the skimmer basket and I've pulled a few baskets full of this soft whitish/green tree gunk out, so that's what it is. The pool doesn't look a whole lot clearer yet, but some.

If I decide to buy the DE media, where is the best place to buy? It doesn't sound like I'll need all that much to add to my sand filter, and I think I've seen in it 25lb. bags.
I've seen it at Lowes. Of course a pool store will have it.

I had no CC's so I was assured that it wasn't some kind of algae
Algae can occur quite easily with no cc's.

Did you perform the OCLT by following the instructions explicitly? The pic sure makes it look like algae but you should have a little chlorine loss overnight if it is (like FPM is saying)

duraleigh said:

Did you perform the OCLT by following the instructions explicitly? The pic sure makes it look like algae but you should have a little chlorine loss overnight if it is (like FPM is saying)

It does look like algae, doesn't it? :-D

Thanks for the warning of no CC's not necessarily equalling no algae. However, I'm loosing no FC at night and the water is becoming clearer. Not only clearer, but it's not green anymore.

I suppose that it still could be algae, and the water is clearer now from the initial shock that I did a couple of days ago. I'll keep an eye on it and keep changing my nylon sock and see where I end up.

moze229 said:
And I should say that me saying no FC loss at night may not be entirely accurate. I'm just not testing sensitively enough to measure less than one PPM. But I suppose as long as its less than one i am still ok.

Well, if you are using the TF100 test kit and you're following the directions, you should be testing with a sensitivity of 0.5 ppm of FC per drop. That would yield a sensitivity of less than 1 ppm. You're right though in that as long as you lost no more than 1 ppm overnight, you're ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harleysilo said:
Stuff in filter looks like the pine tree pollen we get.

Yeah. We had the pine trees pollen off a long time ago though. Aren't a lot of pine trees in this specific area, but that doesn't mean that it's not part of what I have going on. There are nothing but pine trees a few miles from here.

moze229 said:
duraleigh said:

It does look like algae, doesn't it? :-D

Thanks for the warning of no CC's not necessarily equalling no algae. However, I'm loosing no FC at night and the water is becoming clearer. Not only clearer, but it's not green anymore.

I suppose that it still could be algae, and the water is clearer now from the initial shock that I did a couple of days ago. I'll keep an eye on it and keep changing my nylon sock and see where I end up.

You say "from the initial shock I did a couple of days ago". Makes it sound like you're not doing the shock as a process, instead are doing just a one time shock?

GuinnessPhish said:
You say "from the initial shock I did a couple of days ago". Makes it sound like you're not doing the shock as a process, instead are doing just a one time shock?

No.

I stopped the shock process once I referred to the people here and was reassured that algae was likely not my problem. Since I wasn't loosing any FC at night, I didn't have a way to continue shocking as a process. There was no process to follow. :-D

harleysilo said:
You got to keep pool at shock level till it meets all 3 criteria, the pool is not crystal clear is it?

Algae isn't the problem! :-D

I actually ended up pulling most of the gunk out of the water (whatever it was) via nylon sock as suggested by frustratedpoolmom. I did not have algae. I repeat, there was no algae. The water is ALMOST crystal clear now. Next time I'll try some DE and it should go faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.