Gunite and Plaster Question

May 10, 2013
H there,
I am currently having a small indoor, commercial pool built in Southern Nevada, and I have a couple of questions. Our pool is 31,000 gallons, gunite/plaster, with a sand filter and a gas heater. We are shooting gunite on Monday, and I would like some input on the cure time. My pool builder, who seems quite flaky, initially told me that the gunite has to cure for 28 days before plastering, but now he is saying that it will only take 4 days to cure. I am in a time crunch to get the pool open, as summer is right around the corner, so I hope that we can go with the 4 day curing. What are your thoughts? Our climate is extrememly dry out here, sometimes our humidity levels are even at 0%. I think this would affect the cure time.

Also, once they plaster and fill the pool, how long before we can swim in the pool? How long before we can crank the heater up? My pool builder at one point said that it would be a month before we could crank the heater up; however, I just got done taking a CPO class, and the instructor said that I should be able to crank the heater up as soon as the pool is filled. My CPO instructor brought up the fact that people plaster hot tubs and crank the heater up right away, without any issues. Feedback?

Any input is appreciated. We are newbies at pool construction, and we are having trouble finding consistent, quality advice. It seems that there are thousands of opinions about pool building, and I need someone to steer us in the right direction.

Thanks!

The longer the gunite has to cure the stronger it will be, 4 days sounds way too fast. If you are concerned about the longevity of the pool I'd wait 28 days as he originally told you. Everything you'll read here says wait a month to fire up the heater, it can be damaged and cause damage to the finish if you fire it up right away. I don't think your CPO Instructor is correct.

Gunite needs 3-4 days minimum. A month is better, but not strictly required.

On the heater, the National Plasterers Council says to leave the heater off until the pool is free of plaster dust. That might only be a couple of days, or it might be a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.