Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the direction matter when installing a T-Cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the direction matter when installing a T-Cell?

I had removed the T-Cell for winter and I'm getting ready to open the pool but I don't recall which direction the T-Cell was placed by the installers. I've attached a photo of the way I've installed it but I'm not sure if it even makes a difference whether the corded section is closest to the heater or closest to the filter. Any guidance is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the direction matter when installing a T-Cell?

Yes it makes a difference. If installed backwards you should get a no flow signal. I could have sworn their are raised arrows indicating which way to install? Ugh, can't remember but I think that looks right
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

My SWCG is pentair so not sure if it makes a difference but, my manual has specific guidance for placement after the heater and straightline distance from the heater outlet to the cell. It also has a flow direction marking on the cell itself to ensure correct installation.
    You should also be able to google search your brand/model installation manual online.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

No it does not matter. The flow switch is not in the cell for the Hayward systems. It is in a separate tee fitting, which is right before the heater I see in the picture. That is not very good placement for the flow switch, but as long as it works....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you very much.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just trying to get a better understanding, what is the correct placement for the flow sensor? Also on his particular setup, whats the step by step procedure to check cell.( put in bucket of water then turn on, if cell is good the water should turn white correct?) thanks
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Flow sensor should have at least 12" of straight pipe in front of it, the actual cell can count toward that.

What do you need to check? You just take it out, look inside for scaling, acid wash if needed, then put it back. There is a way to reset the light (which comes on after a certain amount of time even if there is no problem), but I do not remember the process.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I believe the instruction manual even says you should reverse the cell each time it's installed after cleaning.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

That may have been true on the older versions, but the newer ones are "self cleaning" which I think means they reverse the polarity, so not sure that would do much any more, but would not hurt anything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I finally found the attached information in one of the many manuals the pool contractor provided last year at the time of installation and there is no reference to a proper direction or reversal of direction after cleaning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Well I think the pic is the reference - the cell is a specific shape so match the picture with the piping and you should be good to go... KWIM?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

12. Back To Top    #12

Read the line below the picture

the water can move in either direction through the cell.
    Like I said a few days ago
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

huh. I feel stupid. LOL

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Well I think the pic is the reference - the cell is a specific shape so match the picture with the piping and you should be good to go... KWIM?
    Absolutely. I had it installed shortly after finding the info in the manual. I appreciate the input provided by members.

15. Back To Top    #15

There is a really good video from Hayward on installing and cleaning a T-Cell. It was so informative. They said it didn't matter which way. I subscribe to Haywards newsletter and that is how I saw the video. They have a few really good ones and said they are working on more. They had one about reducing energy use without changing out your equipment.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

The manual did say (not sure on the newest models) to switch it each time. Even on cells where there may be self cleaning, I still do that, as anything that may get by the filter for some reason can get lodged between the fins in the cell. Turning it around lets it get out without sticking something damaging in there. I talked to a Hayward rep not too long ago, and he still suggested this method.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

17. Back To Top    #17

That is good info ... thanks
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

FYI - Not flow related, but I was having low salt readings vs Taylor test results. After talking the folks at Hayward, they said to check to see if the cell was "hump up" or "hump down" if it was up, to reinstall in the down position (as Magnatics pic above). Once I did this, my readings were nearly identical to Taylor readings. Good luck!

19. Back To Top    #19

That is also good info that I had not heard before
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

So hump up or hump down does not matter with the T cell and as well can switch the direction?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast