Here are my numbers.
FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 80
CYA 20
Last night we put 3 lbs cya in, my understanding is it will take a while for the number to rise?? We also put bleach and baking soda. It looks like to me we need more baking soda to raise PH and TA?? Do we worry about CH? Since this is a new pool how often should I be dong the whole test v. just pH and cl? We estimate our pool volume to be 18600. Thanks, Chemistry is fun.
J

If you are using bleach for chlorine there is no need to raise the TA, 80 is fine.

Any CH level below 300 is just fine for a vinyl pool without a spa.

The best way to raise PH is with borax. But there is no need to hurry on that, anything between 7.2 and 7.8 is acceptable.

You might want to start reading some of the Stickies, see the link in my signature and in the sub-heading of each page. There is lots of valuable background information there.

The water looks great. Last night we added 3lbs cya and 3lb baking soda, and 1 jug of bleach and retested this am and those are the numbers I posted.

I stopped at a local pool store today to see their prices on chemicals. Every time I tell someone I am adding liquid chlorine, bleach, they look at me like I am crazy. The pool store owner agreed the ionizer was not necessary but said I need chlorine tablets instead. He said I would pull oils out of the liner with clorox. ??? The BBB system just makes more sense to me. Thanks for answering my questions. I have read, printed, highlighted many of the stickies but I am a "hands on" learner.

J

Yeah, give the CYA at least 2-3 days.

The baking soda will raise your Alk but have little effect on your pH. I would suggest adding nothing to your pool. I think your pH and Alk may climb just a little on their own so I'd just test it from time to time

Forget CH...N/A

Test as often as you feel the need. That will become less and less. Soon, Grasshopper, you will be at one with your pool :lol: :lol: :lol:

loyd said:
The water looks great. Last night we added 3lbs cya and 3lb baking soda, and 1 jug of bleach and retested this am and those are the numbers I posted.

I stopped at a local pool store today to see their prices on chemicals. Every time I tell someone I am adding liquid chlorine, bleach, they look at me like I am crazy. The pool store owner agreed the ionizer was not necessary but said I need chlorine tablets instead. He said I would pull oils out of the liner with clorox. ??? The BBB system just makes more sense to me. Thanks for answering my questions. I have read, printed, highlighted many of the stickies but I am a "hands on" learner.

J

I would've had to ask what essential oils are in the tabs.. :lol: Sounds like you're doing great. Everyone has their own test intervals, but I usually do chlorine and pH every other day or every 3rd day. My FC usually stays rock solid around 4ppm, and my pH is usually right on 7.4 . I usually don't bother with TA or CYA, once I get the levels where I want them, because they shouldn't change unless I add something to cause them to change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.