How cold is too cold to super chlorinate SWG

Jun 29, 2012
The reading I have been doing suggests that it is hard on a SWG to run it when the water is cold. I am having difficulty finding something that actually says how cold is too cold. Currently our water temp is 60 degrees. Our water is cloudy and I am wanting to hold off on shocking until I can actually run the SWG at super chlorinate level. My plan is to do the shock process (shock, wait 2 hours, test, repeat) once I can get the SWG running at full speed.

Currently I am limiting to 50% on the SWG due to cold water.

Just to follow rules my pool stats are:

TA - 140 ( too high )
PH - 7.6
CYA - 35 ( too low )
FC - .2
TC - 4
salt - 3400

I added CYA and Muratic today and am aerating. I expect my numbers to be at goal sometime this weekend.

watermonster said:
The reading I have been doing suggests that it is hard on a SWG to run it when the water is cold. I am having difficulty finding something that actually says how cold is too cold. Currently our water temp is 60 degrees. Our water is cloudy and I am wanting to hold off on shocking until I can actually run the SWG at super chlorinate level. My plan is to do the shock process (shock, wait 2 hours, test, repeat) once I can get the SWG running at full speed.

Currently I am limiting to 50% on the SWG due to cold water.

Just to follow rules my pool stats are:

TA - 140 ( too high )
PH - 7.6
CYA - 35 ( too low )
FC - .2
TC - 4
salt - 3400

I added CYA and Muratic today and am aerating. I expect my numbers to be at goal sometime this weekend.
If the CYA is hanging in a sock, pull it out. 35 is plenty high for the shock process. When you're done you can hang it again. The SWG probably won't be able to keep up with the demand; you'll need some liquid bleach

Have you studied pool-school/shocking_your_pool ? Do you have the proper test kit ready to go?

Hi Richard - Unfortunately I added the CYA to the skimmer and suspect it is hanging out in my sand filter at the moment.

I have read the shock process. My hope is that once I kill all the bad stuff my SWG will be able to keep up. I don't want to damage the SWG by trying to run it too high but I also don't want to be adding chlorine manually once I get the shock done. I will be using liquid chlorine 15% for the shock process.

I just finished a 24 hour super chlorinate and my water temp began at 61 it's 66 now (now heater or solar) I did add 1 bottle of pool shock since it was lying around. (current FC is off the scale- bright orange, PH 7.8)
My manual didn't say anything about water temp other than when the cell would stop working temps.

I will be using liquid chlorine 15% for the shock process.
I am wanting to hold off on shocking until I can actually run the SWG at super chlorinate level. My plan is to do the shock process (shock, wait 2 hours, test, repeat) once I can get the SWG running at full speed.
These two quotes seem to conflict a bit so let's clarify.....

Your shock process will be more effective and easier to do if you simply shut off the SWG during shocking. SWG's don't produce a lot of chlorine very fast which is what you want when you shock. Use bleach or liquid chlorine.

Take your SWG out of the equation during shocking and, when your pool is clear and the process is complete, let your FC drift back down to normal levels and turn on the SWG.

@duraleigh I am not sure why I would turn off the SWG while shocking. I agree that superchlor at the same time would be overkill. I am expecting that by having the SWG running I will be able to not spend as much time shocking.

watermonster said:
@duraleigh I am not sure why I would turn off the SWG while shocking. I agree that superchlor at the same time would be overkill. I am expecting that by having the SWG running I will be able to not spend as much time shocking.

1. You cannot effectively measure your chlorine loss (important because the SWG is constantly adding chlorine at a rate you are not sure of).

2. You cannot perform the OCLT with the SWG running and that's the determinate test for ending the process

3. You are accelerating the consumption of your salt cell.....bleach is A LOT cheaper.

4. Adding chlorine manually in the correct dose is far quicker and more effective than asking your SWG to do it.

Can you get by doing it the way you plan? Almost surely. But you will add extra expense in the long run and you will lose the precision that we teach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.