Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to start the fight again

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to start the fight again

Last month I had to go out of town again and when I came back the pool was green (2nd year in a row)...I inspected my SWG and found that I needed a new cell...I am still waiting for it to arrive....

In any case, I have the TFP test kit and am ready to start the battle....

I only have a few questions for this year....

Clorox bleach is now only sold in 8.25% concentration in this area, there have been some negative comments regarding its effectiveness on some other boards, is it as effective? If not, what would you recommend as a good substitute?

I have changed the filters, but have to leave again from 5/11-14 and then 5/18-5/20, should I wait until I get back on 5/21 to begin chemically treating the pool, and just run the filter for the time being?

Do the automatic filter cleaners (the one where you rest the filter on it and it turns and sprays into the pleats) do an effective job? The reason that I ask, is that I must clean 4 relatively large filters every time I change them out and was looking for a more efficient method. It currently takes me about an hour and a half to get these things clean and then overnight in dish detergent.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Charlie

18,000 gal SWG, pebble tech, Jandy filter, Jandy Aquapure
    Flower Mound, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to start the fight again

charsand
    I'm a newbie here and had a green pool on April 29th
    Now it's almost crystal clear and all I used was 6% bleach
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

All that's different about 8.25% is the concentration. Otherwise it's exactly the same stuff. Make sure to change the box in the pool calculator so your dosage amount is correct.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

You do get a little less ppm per bottle for the same price. Wal-Mart appears to have 10% that is a little cheaper as some have reported.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My Walmart has 8.25% and another brand that is only 2.75% so be sure you find the percentage listed on the bottle. Some bottles don't list the concentration anywhere.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoguls
    Some bottles don't list the concentration anywhere.
    And those are the one's you shouldn't buy
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by charsand
    Clorox bleach is now only sold in 8.25% concentration in this area, there have been some negative comments regarding its effectiveness on some other boards, is it as effective? If not, what would you recommend as a good substitute?
    It is amazing how these rumors propagate on the internet. The only way the 8.25% bleach would not be as effective as the 6% would be if the 8.25% bottle had degraded due to sitting on the shelf for quite some time. That is highly unlikely if you are purchasing the bleach from a grocery store, Wally World, or a warehouse club due to the high product turnover.

As others have mentioned, the 8.25% bleach has a higher concentration of the same active ingredient (sodium hypochlorite) than the 6% bleach. To reach a target FC, you would use less of the 8.25% bleach than you would the 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by charsand
    I have changed the filters, but have to leave again from 5/11-14 and then 5/18-5/20, should I wait until I get back on 5/21 to begin chemically treating the pool, and just run the filter for the time being?
    We really need to see some test results, in particular CYA, in order for us to provide the best advice in this situation. Also, do you have another family member or friend that could dose with bleach while you are gone? If so, that is your best bet. If not, there are still some options, depending on your test results. In any event, it is difficult to perform the shock process without someone there to tend to the pool a few times a day.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Finally finished shocking (I hope)....My numbers from yesterday were:

FC 14
    CC .5
    TA 110
    CYA 15
    PH 8.2
    CH 80

I added about 4 lbs of CYA in 2 socks last night...will check CYA again after sock empties in a few days

I will be adding salt today and installing a new SWG...

My water is clear, but I still have what appears to be dirt that settles near the drain area in the deep end. My Polaris quit working about a week to ten days ago and I'm waiting for the parts to fix it. Hopefully when that is running again, it will solve the dirt problem. I didn't lose any FC overnight and my CC is either 0 or .5, it's hard to tell.

Should I keep at shock level for a few days while waiting for Polaris parts?

Once the SWG and Polaris are functioning properly, I plan to tackle the rest of the water balancing.

Are there any other suggestions or do you see any problems with my plan.
    Thanks
    Charlie

Flower Mound, Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

How did you test a CYA value of 15?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

What was your OCLT?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I filled the CYA test tube to the top and could still barely see the black dot, so I guessed at 15.
    Charlie

Flower Mound, Texas

12. Back To Top    #12

My OCLT showed as no FC lost and CC of about .5
    Charlie

Flower Mound, Texas

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

If your water is crystal clear, cc's .5 ppm or less and you lost no FC in the OCLT, you have completed the shock process and can let FC come down to normal range about 3-5 ppm.

Can you vac with a manual vac and keep the dirt out?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't have a manual vac....I figured I would just wait for my Polaris rebuild kit and go from there...
    Charlie

Flower Mound, Texas

15. Back To Top    #15

Just a progress report.....

It took 18 days (6/4 to 6/22) and 126 jugs of 8.25% bleach to turn my green swamp (I had frogs and ducks) into a crystal clear pool. I ran the filter 24/7, changed out the cartridges after the first week and brushed the entire pool about 4-5 times per day....

The wrong polaris rebuild kit was sent in error and now I should be getting it on 7/3....that should finish it up....
    Charlie

Flower Mound, Texas