Ready to start the fight again

charsand

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2009
Flower Mound/Texas
Last month I had to go out of town again and when I came back the pool was green (2nd year in a row)...I inspected my SWG and found that I needed a new cell...I am still waiting for it to arrive....

In any case, I have the TFP test kit and am ready to start the battle....

I only have a few questions for this year....

Clorox bleach is now only sold in 8.25% concentration in this area, there have been some negative comments regarding its effectiveness on some other boards, is it as effective? If not, what would you recommend as a good substitute?

I have changed the filters, but have to leave again from 5/11-14 and then 5/18-5/20, should I wait until I get back on 5/21 to begin chemically treating the pool, and just run the filter for the time being?

Do the automatic filter cleaners (the one where you rest the filter on it and it turns and sprays into the pleats) do an effective job? The reason that I ask, is that I must clean 4 relatively large filters every time I change them out and was looking for a more efficient method. It currently takes me about an hour and a half to get these things clean and then overnight in dish detergent.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You do get a little less ppm per bottle for the same price. Wal-Mart appears to have 10% that is a little cheaper as some have reported.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

charsand said:
Clorox bleach is now only sold in 8.25% concentration in this area, there have been some negative comments regarding its effectiveness on some other boards, is it as effective? If not, what would you recommend as a good substitute?
It is amazing how these rumors propagate on the internet. The only way the 8.25% bleach would not be as effective as the 6% would be if the 8.25% bottle had degraded due to sitting on the shelf for quite some time. That is highly unlikely if you are purchasing the bleach from a grocery store, Wally World, or a warehouse club due to the high product turnover.

As others have mentioned, the 8.25% bleach has a higher concentration of the same active ingredient (sodium hypochlorite) than the 6% bleach. To reach a target FC, you would use less of the 8.25% bleach than you would the 6%.

charsand said:
I have changed the filters, but have to leave again from 5/11-14 and then 5/18-5/20, should I wait until I get back on 5/21 to begin chemically treating the pool, and just run the filter for the time being?
We really need to see some test results, in particular CYA, in order for us to provide the best advice in this situation. Also, do you have another family member or friend that could dose with bleach while you are gone? If so, that is your best bet. If not, there are still some options, depending on your test results. In any event, it is difficult to perform the shock process without someone there to tend to the pool a few times a day.

Finally finished shocking (I hope)....My numbers from yesterday were:

FC 14
CC .5
TA 110
CYA 15
PH 8.2
CH 80

I added about 4 lbs of CYA in 2 socks last night...will check CYA again after sock empties in a few days

I will be adding salt today and installing a new SWG...

My water is clear, but I still have what appears to be dirt that settles near the drain area in the deep end. My Polaris quit working about a week to ten days ago and I'm waiting for the parts to fix it. Hopefully when that is running again, it will solve the dirt problem. I didn't lose any FC overnight and my CC is either 0 or .5, it's hard to tell.

Should I keep at shock level for a few days while waiting for Polaris parts?

Once the SWG and Polaris are functioning properly, I plan to tackle the rest of the water balancing.

Are there any other suggestions or do you see any problems with my plan.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water is crystal clear, cc's .5 ppm or less and you lost no FC in the OCLT, you have completed the shock process and can let FC come down to normal range about 3-5 ppm.

Can you vac with a manual vac and keep the dirt out?

:party: Just a progress report.....

It took 18 days (6/4 to 6/22) and 126 jugs of 8.25% bleach to turn my green swamp (I had frogs and ducks) into a crystal clear pool. I ran the filter 24/7, changed out the cartridges after the first week and brushed the entire pool about 4-5 times per day....

The wrong polaris rebuild kit was sent in error and now I should be getting it on 7/3....that should finish it up.... :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.