IQ900-RS and Aqualink-RS question

HI -

I have recently purchased the iAqualink IQ900-RS as I would like to upgrade my 8 year old RS system (presently using a JandylinkRS One Touch, which is starting to fail). It will be delivered soon and I am wondering about the installation.

I am very proficient with computers and wireless networking, so I am very confident that I will have no problems setting up the wireless receiver.

I am concerned however, about the new control panel/circuit board for the power center that comes with the upgrade kit. Is this something that a relative novice can install without "professional" help? Zodiac warns of "voiding the warranty" if not professionally installed, but I'm not sure if that means you have to have a certain level of expertise to do it, or is it just a way for them to promote the services of their authorized installers (my gut feel is the latter)

I have done some very basic "electrical" work (installing dimmer switches, timers, etc.) and have also switched out and upgraded my PC's network boards, video boards, etc. (back in the day when you actually did those things) so I have some VERY basic past experience but no training other than the ability to follow directions.

Any insight/advice on the advisability of me tackling this project myself would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if anyone has used a "professional" for an IQ900-RS install, how much did it cost (not including the cost of the kit)?

Thank you

Update - I tried it myself and was able to successfully install the new PCB and bezel - took about a half hour. Just need to keep track of what each connector is for and make sure when you put in the new board the connectors are connected to the proper place (there were some differences in the locations - intake and return for example were at the top of the old board and on the bottom of the new board - so you can't just do it by rote. Works very well!! Using PC and android app and both are great. About half an hour of set up is required for the software.

My Aqua Rite is version 1.04 firmware and appears not to support emulation. I do not have anything like AL-x on the diagnostic display as I scroll through the options. I get what appears to be the following as I cycle through the diagnostic modes:

Temperature
Volts
Amps
Percent Chlorination (5-99)
Salt Calibration
Software rev (r 1.04)

Then it goes back to displaying salt level. Any other suggestions short of getting a new control board? I wonder if it is possible to get a firmware upgrade?

Thanks!
Tom

"On the aqua rite, scroll the diagnostic button, until you find AL-0, then you can change it to AL-1 or 2 and so on. I think if you set it to AL-5 it will emulate a Jandy Aqua Pure. You change to AL-5 by moving the switch from auto to super chlorinate back and forth until it reads AL-5."

My Goldline Chorlinator is fairly old (circa 2002) so it may not support that, but I'll give it a try and see. I'll report back! Thanks!

So, the final determination on interfacing an Aqua Rite cholrinator to a Jandy Aqualink RS system with the newer version M or later firmware (used with the iAqualink, among other things) appears to be that the very early version of the Aqual Rite (mine is 1.04) can't do it because it did not have Aqua Pure AL-5 emulation (or any selectable emulation, for that matter), the versions in the middle of the run could because they did have AL-5 emulation, and that the later versions after about 2009 (1.49 is current as of this writing) can't because AL-5 was removed. Too bad I can't find a board with the appropriate firmware out there somewhere...

"We do not connect to another makers control unit anymore. Way back when we used to put we do not anymore. It was not in the early boards and got removed in the later boards when the boards got upgraded around 2009. They is really no difference you will notice between the revision you have now and what the current one is other than you can put any one of our 4 size cell's on the new units. The one you have you can't change size cells.

Steve

Hayward Technical Services"

A one year update to this thread-- It still works— Following daddybug’s directions, I set my new AquaRIite SWG (software V. 1.59) to AL-5 so that it emulated a Jandy AquaPure SWG. After a re-boot (flipped the breakers), I was able to connect the latest Hayward Aqua Rite AQR (SWG) to my AquaLink RS One Touch (firmware R).

On the inside panel, I can set salt generating percentages and turn on boost. Also, the panel shows an on-going readout of the salt ppm and sends messages such as “no flow, “low salt” etc.”
George

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.