Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Second season with TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Second season with TFP

Hi

This will be my second season with TFP but my 11th with my pool. Last year, the pool looked great all year. I'm sold.

I just opened the pool today. We have a solid safety cover (it's shot, so I'll be looking for replacement advice later). Other than a small amount of leaves and dirt (oh and a dead mouse), the pool looked pretty darn good. It tested showing Cl right out of the shoot, which is a first for me (closed late Sep). Is this normal and something I just was not getting in past years because I was using the pool stores 1-3 Cl level?

I manually vacuumed and now have the Kreepy going. Just finished my first water tests and here is what I have (Caveat: These are last years chemicals but they have been stored inside in a cabinet):

FC - 4.5
    CC - 0 (maybe a smidge)
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 110
    CH - Not calculated
    CYA - 50 maybe (past years it was more like 20-30)
    Borates - Not tested

As I continue to review things, I'd just like a quick check that I am headed in the right direction. If i did the pool calculator right, I will shoot for a shock level of 16 and add 2.75 gallons of 10% shock. I had to look real hard to find any color after the CC test, but it seems upon opening, I should shock anyway. Yes?

I'll do the overnight test tonight. I have a SWG and I am waiting for the cell to fail since it is my 11th season (open 5 months of the year probably). I sure wish there was a way to just see to what degree it's working. But I want to get the CYA up to 80, and I plan to add CYA tomorrow. The SWG is turned off and I'll leave it off till I get my chemistry where I want it. Should I bring it up first and then shock (new shock level at 21) or can I go as planned.

Anything I'm missing? (I'm sure there is).
    24,000 gal / DE Filter / IG / Vinyl / 2HP Pentair / Installed 2003

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Second season with TFP

There is no real need to shock if there is no visible algae and the water is clear. Just keep an eye on your initial chlorine dose, and if it vanishes too quickly then you do need to shock. Given you had chlorine to start with, that almost certainly won't be an issue, but still worth watching for just in case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There is no real need to shock if there is no visible algae and the water is clear. Just keep an eye on your initial chlorine dose, and if it vanishes too quickly then you do need to shock. Given you had chlorine to start with, that almost certainly won't be an issue, but still worth watching for just in case.
    Ok thanks. It looks like it's been open for a month and very clear. should i just boost the Cl from 4.5 to my target value and watch it from there? (4-8 at CYA 50 and 6-11 after I drive CYA up to 80).

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. never let it drop below the minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds to me like you understand the basics pretty darn good!

I think you're about ready to start answering some questions here...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Yes. never let it drop below the minimum.
    Thank you.

Here's a pic of the pool six hours after opening. That's a red Frisbee that the dog dropped in the deep end. She's ready to play.

[attachment=0:1pozs9l3]2013-05-09 19.11.54.jpg[/attachment:1pozs9l3]
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It sounds to me like you understand the basics pretty darn good!

I think you're about ready to start answering some questions here...
    Ha! You guys have masters degrees. I'm working on my GED.