Help with shock process...PLEASE!!!!

KimR

May 6, 2013
Paintsville, KY
Once my Taylor K2006 kit arrives (ordered 3 days ago), should I start the shock process at night or does it matter? Also, I understand that the first day I'll be testing FC every hour or two to maintain MA shock level (is this only for 24 hours and then shock at normal shock level until I pass OCLT test?). Should I go slightly above MA shock level? I'm pretty sure what I have is mustard algae (will post pics if needed), looks like a powdery mustard color in my cartridge filter. I've tried Yellow Out a couple weeks ago with no success, then vacuumed to waste to get rid of the clumps on pool floor, then refilled pool with water(which should've lowered my CYA slightly). Next day started seeing streaks of algae, which are now clumps of algae again. The algae, which brushes away like dust, is only collecting on my pool floor. I'm ready to completely follow your advice and be rid if this algae once and for all! I've been maintaining a lower Ph and FC of about 7 based on the CYA reading the pool store gave me on May 1st. Once my kit arrives....I WILL NOT be going back! I feel sooo defeated by this monster! But once I start the process, should I treat the outside of the pool as well (including the ground cloth/tarp that my 24' Intex sits on? And at what point should I treat the pool solar cover/toys/floats? I have purchased 13 jugs(121 oz.) of 8.25% bleach, how many more would you suggest I buy to be prepared for shock process? Will the K2006 kit have enough testing reagents to complete the process or should I go ahead and order extra, if so, which reagents will I need ? Once I begin the shock process, will I be able to communicate with YOU each time and how long is your response time in case I feel uncertain about what to do next? Sorry about the ton of questions but I'm to the point of tears...no, really! I've read Pool School, will read again tonight. So thanks in advance for any advice!

Start you shock process whatever time of day you like (but starting in the evening is probably my choice). Just check FC and replenish as often as you can.

Don't worry too much about peripherals like toys, etc. Just shock your pool according to the MA suggestions in the FC/CYA chart.

Unless it's the wee hours of the morning, most meaningful posts get responded to in a few minutes.

You didn't ask but I am going to suggest read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School......then read it again. Secondly, relax a bit. Hundreds of people on this forum have done what you will be doing and will be willing to help.

You will probably need more reagents with the K-2006. If it has a drawback, it's that it seldom gives you adequate R-0871 and R-0013 to go through the shock process and get your CYA properly adjusted. I would order a 2 oz bottle of R-0871 and an 8 oz bottle of R-0013.

Thanks duraleigh!!! Still waiting on kit to arrive so in meantime... a few more questions. I read in Pool School that I should shock the pool at normal shock level first, then bring FC up to MA shock level. How long do I keep normal shock levels before adding more bleach to reach MA level? I tried posting some pics of bottom of pool and the yellow stuff in my cartridge filter so you could determine if what I have is mustard algae instead of just regular algae but it said the file was too large...what am I doing wrong? Don't want to bleach my liner if it's only regular algae. Thanks!

You will be in good hands here. Post your numbers from your test kit when you get it. I started following the advice here about 2 years ago, and I've had half a bottle of algaecide sitting since then.

Same here, I have some old algaecide I'll never use too.

It may seem daunting at first, but with a good test kit and the information here, I doubt there's any problem that can't be overcome. You WILL get through this, and have a beautiful pool (and a much better understanding of pool chemistry) once you've won the battle. Testing, brushing & treating your water will get you back in the clear.

I'm now checking into ordering extra reagent for the shock process. It was recommended that I order a 2oz. bottle of the R-0871 (which is for testing FC and CC...right?) and also an 8oz. bottle of R-0013 (which is for testing CYA...right?, will I be testing for this a lot?). Is this all I will need to get me through the process? Just want to have enough since it takes several days for delivery!!!

Is this all I will need to get me through the process?
I would say probably yes. You will only need to test for CH and TA one time prior to shocking and not often thereafter. You will test FC and CC a lot and the CYA reagent (R-0013) will be needed as it is in short supply in the K-2006.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You must not have checked tftestkits.net

Your kit I think comes with 2 ounces, so you added 2 more? That should be enough for awhile.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I received my kit yesterday, and I read over it to get familiar with it. It's raining buckets here today, but I figured if it lets up a little, I will check my cya today since I vacuumed to waste a few days ago. No rain in the forecast for the next several days. I think I'll start shocking tomorrow evening after company leaves (Mother's Day). Should I test for everything or just FC,CC,PH,ALK, and CYA? I'm excited and nervous about the process...just want to do it correctly and be done with this headache. I will not let this happen again once I'm rid of the algae. One more thing once I start tomorrow... should I shock at MA levels? When I rinse my filter out, it literally looks like mustard, collects in seams on bottom of pool and in scattered clumps throughout bottom of pool, sweeps into a cloud on bottom only, returns quickly. There was even a gel-like goo on my water hose yesterday! I REALLY appreciate your help... I actually have hope that with TFP, My family will have a great summer!

Run a test for everything so you have a baseline. Once you get your pH in line and start shocking, only test for FC and CC until the shock process is complete. At the moment, I see no need to go up to mustard shock.

Keep asking questions and there will be plenty of people to help you through the process. If you need any reassurance, browse some of the fighting algae threads and you'll see how it's done.

Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with. What do you think...mustard or not?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/8729 ... 36b6_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95691374@N ... hotostream

I have read/obsessed on the forums pertaining to mustard algae and shock process! If I don't shock at mustard levels and it ends up being what I have, will I have to start over? The 14 jugs of 8.25% bleach I've bought cost $3(121 oz.) each, I want to use it wisely and approach this algae aggressively. If you look at the photos I've added, you'll see it's definitely not green algae! If I've read and understood correctly, shock at normal shock level first until I pass OCLT, then add more bleach to get it up to MA shock for 24 hours? Should I use the filter that's been filtering the algae or a new one? I'm assuming I wait until I pass the overnight test before switching to a new one. I'm also concerned that there could be algae outside my pool on the ground cloth/tarp. Don't want to re-contaminate my pool. I'll post my levels tomorrow. Thanks!

Yup. Normal shock process, then raise to mustard level if required. There is an article in Pool School for mustard algae ... but sounds like you found it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

In the pool, is the algae (if that's what it is) only on the shady side of the pool or is it everywhere there's a seam that might settle something like dirt or pollen? If you brush what is in the pool, does it poof up like a yellow cloud?

This year has been one of the worst years ever for tree pollen. If you're only seeong it caught in the filter and not in the places chemgeek suggested, it's pollen. Can you see pollen anywhere else around your property? My mailbox sits under a tree and it's just caked with the stuff.

If you read the article in pool school about mustard algae, it says to shock normally, but then raise it up to MA level at the end of the process. I would just start with the normal shock process and go from there. But like I said above, I'd wager pollen and not mustard algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.