Help with shock process...PLEASE!!!!

Hi chem geek! Thanks for your time. This stuff is on the bottom, scattered in slimy looking clumps across the pool here and there and in seams too. Yes it sweeps into a brown cloud of "dust" when brushed and reappears several hours later or the following day. It was yellow/tan yesterday in the filter and was spongy(much worse than shown in the pic). I drained my pool about a month ago because when I took the cover off, I still had some streaks and clumps on bottom. I then scrubbed and bleached(diluted) the inside of the entire pool. I couldn't believe it when I refilled and still had this "stuff". I'm adding a couple inches water before I test today. Curious to see what my numbers REALLY are!!!

Ok. Re-read whole thread. That doesn't look like algae. Live. or Mustard. It could be dead algae however, like you have a "nascent" or unseen-on the verge of becoming green-issue in your pool. What I haven't seen yet is where you performed an Overnight Free Chlorine Loss test? Did I miss that post? I would not proceed with a shock or a Mustard Algae Level Shock if you haven't confirmed if your FC is holding overnight.... Have you? You test the FC around 9 pm or so, after then sun is off the pool. Then you test again, first thing in the morning, before the sun hits the pool. Compare the results. If you lose MORE than 1ppm of FC, than this is probably an algae issue and then you should shock. Filter must be on whole time. I would not recommend adding chlorine right before you test - no tablets, nothing. If you add chlorine in the evening, make sure its a good 2 hours before I don't want anything to skew your results.

Have you tried skimmer socks/nylon knee-highs to help catch stuff? If you do, you should probably stay around and check the socks often to make sure they don't get too full.

Well, algae feels slimy and pollen feels squishy. You used the word 'spongy' to describe it, which sounds like pollen.

Smykowski said:
Run a test for everything so you have a baseline. Once you get your pH in line and start shocking, only test for FC and CC until the shock process is complete.
Have you been able to run the tests yet?

Thanks guys!! Going right now to check levels, will check FC/CC tonight and first thing in the morning. Then we'll go from there. I really can't thank you enough. There's only one pool store where I live and, other than that one, the nearest one is an hour away.I don't trust the one in my town for sure. The girl that works there tried to argue that CYA was only a sunscreen for chlorine and didn't have anything to do with FC. Needless to say, I know more than she does and I'm just now getting the whole picture!!! So i really do appreciate your expertise :-D Here's what came out of my filter a little while ago. The first pic is while it's wet and the second is after it's dried out. Still think it's pollen???? Please take a look and tell me your opinion. While waiting on a response... I'll be testing my water. :?: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/8731 ... 73ba6b.jpg http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/8732 ... 0a82_m.jpg

Test results with K-2006:
  • FC 8.4
  • CC .6 (This is indicative of algae...right?)
  • CORRECTION ON CC : as I was entering my results, I noticed the CC test had turned pink again so I added more 0871 drops (12 in total in the 25mL test) which would make my CC 2.4 ? A few minutes later... it's pink AGAIN. Will do OCLT tonight. :brickwall:
  • CYA <30(could still see black dot)
  • Ph 7.4
  • Alk 80? (8 drops-light pink, 9 drops- bright pink)
I'm going to put some cya in,starting with 1 lb. According to pool calc, this will raise it by approx. 9. Then will check again. Don't want it too high so I don't have to use as much bleach to shock. Maybe I should go for 1.5 lb???(which would raise it by 13). I also have some Trichlor and Dichlor to add cya but my FC is at a good level so probably not the Dichlor. My floater was broken a few days ago, could I put some Trichlor in an empty jug with small holes in the bottom or just go with granular CYA in a pantyhose :?:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Start using a 10ml water sample and save your reagent for the FAS-DPD test. Also, if you leave it sit after the test it will always turn pink again .... ignore this.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Since you are capturing this stuff in the cartridge filter, the next time you collect some see how it feels both when wet and when dried. If it feels squishy as you describe, that's more likely to be pollen. Algae tends to feel more slimy/slippery. If you have a microscope, then put some on a slide and look at it since that can be a definitive test. Pollen will be solid, usually spherical sometimes with spikes. Algae is usually more oblong and translucent where you can see the interior often seeing the green/brown chlorophyll (color varies by species).

KimR said:
as I was entering my results, I noticed the CC test had turned pink again so I added more 0871 drops (12 in total in the 25mL test) which would make my CC 2.4 ? A few minutes later... it's pink AGAIN.

The first time it turned pink - how long did it take before it turned pink? The second time it turned pink you said "a few minutes" but the first time? Was it within a 10 seconds?

Since you are capturing this stuff in the cartridge filter, the next time you collect some see how it feels both when wet and when dried. If it feels squishy as you describe, that's more likely to be pollen. Algae tends to feel more slimy/slippery.
....It does feel squishy when wet and kind of powdery when dry except that it doesn't fall apart like powder. I thought about calling my son's science teacher to see if he would look at the filter gunk under a microscope. Just might do that if I don't pass the OCLT !
The first time it turned pink - how long did it take before it turned pink? The second time it turned pink you said "a few minutes" but the first time? Was it within a 10 seconds?
.... probably at least a minute or longer. I thought I may have done something wrong!
Start using a 10ml water sample and save your reagent for the FAS-DPD test.
...The YouTube video I watched said if you thought your chlorine was low to use the 25mL test and use the 10mL if you thought it was high. I tested my FC and CC at 9pm using the 10mL test and also read the "Extended Instructions for Taylor kits. Live and Learn!!!
  • I'll post in the morning with my OCLT results.
  • @ 9pm: FC 5.5, CC .5

There is no need to perform the FAS-DPD test with a 25 ml sample as 0.2 ppm accuracy is not necessary for really any purpose that we advocate for. Sticking with the 10 ml sample and taking the resultant reads in 0.5 ppm increments is all that is required as we base our recommendations on readings in 0.5 ppm increments. Your DPD powder will last twice as long this way.

• OCLT results:
  • @ 9pm=FC 5.5-11 drops;CC .5
  • @ 6:45am=FC 5.5;CC .5 or less-added 1 drop to see if color changed[list:1l41bkdn]
Question: After adding 5 drops of 0003, is it normal for CC test to turn from clear to pink after about a minute? [/list:u:1l41bkdn]
  • This means I passed...right? Should I do the OCLT again tonight because water is clear but I wouldn't say it's "crystal" clear. There's a fine white film on top of the water but it's not a solid sheet...pollen maybe? Water in cartridge housing is cloudy looking and there's the nasty stuff on bottom of pool and in seams (it seems to grow, but definitely reappears). When I vacuum to waste, it seems to come right back. So do you think I should brush the pool and and some clarifier or floc and vacuum to waste, then put in a new filter or clean the one that's in it? I want this nasty stuff out of my pool! I've heard people on this forum talking about skimmer socks,could I take the top of some pantyhose and put over the bobbing part of the skimmer? What are some suggestions............I added some CYA yesterday but I know my filter needs rinsed out can I rinse it and not risk losing any CYA ? :hammer:

1. You passed the OCLT so that's a good thing.

2. You still have visible debris in your pool so that's a bad thing. vacuum it out each time it reappears. Vacuum to wast if you don't mind the water loss.

3. Especially this time of year, it is common to see "dirt" settling on the floor each evening....vacuum it out. It can be dead algae (still), airborne dirt, or a combination of both but it doesn't matter...vacuum it out each day.

4. If you have CYA dissolving in your filter, you will lose it when you clean the filter. It is MORE important to keep your filtewr clean. Next time you add CYA, put the granules in an old sock and suspend that sock in your pool in front of a return. It will dissolve slowly but now you are free to clean your filter as needed.

5. Clarifier and floc usually wastes your money. vacuuming the pool makes far more sense if your water is clear

6. Disregard the stuff floating. That's very normal for Spring.

7. It sounds to me like all you lack to have great pool water is the debris that needs to be removed from the bottom and to get your CYA up to around 40 ppm, is that right?

Just wanted to chime in - The Intex filters are notoriously bad (you can google search our forum, bottom left corner to read numerous threads) and the filter cartridges are disposable - meant to be tossed after 2 weeks of "normal" use. After clearing up visible algae are dealing with issues as you are seeing - a new filter is in order. Stock up. If you were trying to clean and re-use those Intex disposable filters, that could be part of the issue. I believe there are "cleanable" replacement cartridges available for purchase on line (they cost more for obvious reasons.) Congrats on passing the overnight loss test!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.