Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about best Filter & Pump for my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about best Filter & Pump for my pool

I have a 24' round above ground pool, that is approximately 13,000 gallons.

The pool has been in place for a number of years, but the DE filter that had been installed started to get old and leaky so I decided I want to get a new one this year. I also have a feeling the actual pump was too big for the pool (a 2HP pump).

So I'm basically starting over, and need to buy a new pump and DE Filter. So far I've figured out that I only need a 1HP pump for my pool, but I still can't figure out what is the best filter to get.

I'd prefer to buy a 'pump and filter' package, because I'm not very handy with plumbing, and rather not start cutting up PVC piping.

I'm fairly confident I need a 1-HP pump, but can anyone suggest what size filter I would need?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about best Filter & Pump for my pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

You are right that 2HP was WAY bigger than you needed. I would suggest a 1HP 2-speed pump as the largest.

Are you wanting to stick to DE? pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

For your pool here are the filter sizes we would recommend as general minimums, with little debris and/or short seasons you could get by a little smaller:
    200 sqft cartridge
    2.4 sqft sand (21")
    35 sqft DE
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

For your size pool you may find package combinations of filters and pumps, but that is all they are a pairing mostly done for marketing reasons, and would be no different installing than buying the pump and filter you want. Note most of these package deals combine a low to mid range filter with a bargain basement pump.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that buying the pump and filter seperate would be the best bet. Rather spend the money to get the best results. Just a little worried about setting up the plumbing between them.