Upgrade pipes

Aug 10, 2010
Hello TFP! Looking to do a weekend project in preparation of my new ECOStar SP3400VSPVR pump. I currently have a 1HP Super Pump single speed going to 2 returns and 1 skimmer. All piping including pad is 1.5" flex white pvc. I was looking to do some digging which would be pretty easy as it was a hack job and not deeper then 2" from surface currently. Want to change to 2 or 2.5" rigid sch 40 piping depending on what you guys think. Currently there is only 1 pipe to the filter that is tee for both returns. Going to run a single pipe for each return to a 3way valve. Thoughts? Also my biggest question is I will be about 6' from the skimmer basket and return lines that I will start either my 2 or 2.5" rigid sch 40 piping. So in other words 1.5" pipe will still be coming off each return and skimmer for about 6' where I will then transition to the 2 or 2.5" rigid piping and continue throughout. Is this okay?

Thanks as always for any input!

Go bigger where you can. Even with 2.5" pipe from the single 1.5" skimmer, you may not want to be running that huge pump anywhere near high speed.

I would not hurt to run 2.5" on the suction side and then use 2" after the pump ... even leaving separate 1.5" pipes to each return would likely be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.