Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size fitting for Hayward Union?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size fitting for Hayward Union?

Because of leaks, I'm changing my setup. I've got a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, and I'm attaching Hayward Unions to the pump discharge (the part# is SP1500UNPAK2). I've got 1.5" I.D. braided clear tubing between the pump and the filter, so I need a fitting to connect the union to the clear tube. What size is the male side of the Hayward union? And can I buy the fitting at a big box store, or is it going to be another "patented thread" from Hayward, so I'll have to buy something either online or from the pool store?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size fitting for Hayward Union?

If I understand correctly, the union is designed to be screwed onto the pump and the other side "glued" to PVC pipe. So I would think you would just need to use solvent to attach the PVC pipe to the union and then use whatever PVC fitting you need to go to your flex hose.

But, you are correct that the threaded part that attaches to the pump is likely proprietary.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That would be ideal. Here's a picture:
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-41739- ... parts.aspx

What I couldn't tell was if the side that was downstream of the pump had to be threaded, or if you could cement to the inside of the pipe.

Put another way, is the downstream side of the Hayward Union designed to be the male end of the fitting, or the female end? Or can I do it either way?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess I do not know about those unions. The ones I have used allowed either a pipe to be glued inside, or the pipe was the same size and could be glued on with a coupler.

Not sure what is supposed to be done with those threaded ones.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess I'll figure it out. I'm just hoping when I get this thing on Tuesday I can find a part locally. This waiting four days nonsense because I have to buy everything online is getting old.

6. Back To Top    #6

It may just be a "normal" male PVC thread that you can get a PVC fitting to screw right on ... would not really make sense for that to also be proprietary when the pump side already is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I wanted to update this thread in case anyone runs across it in the future.

The pump side of the Hayward Union is the funky proprietary size thread. The other side of the union is just a female PVC fitting, which will accept a 1.5" pipe. It can also be a male threaded fitting, which I assume is a standard thread for a 1.5" fitting, but since I cemented the pipe and didn't use it, I'm not exactly sure.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the update. My Hayward pump arrived and I was a bit annoyed/perplexed to find that the fittings that I purchased would not fit. Your initial and updated postings helped me 1. realize I was not crazy, 2. informed me the inside of the connection on the pump is threaded, and 3. prevented me from making useless trips to the hardware store.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad I could help.

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you guys post an image of this connection? I'm dealing with the exact same thing now. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Union Connector Kit (Nut, Connector, Gasket) | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products
    It may be slightly different depending on which pump you are needing connectors for.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The union connector kit for the Matrix pump is a SP1500UNPAK2
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com