Heat Pumps and SWG

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Sorry if this has been addressed, but did some searching and could not find specifically this issue.

New pool owner still under construction and my guy (who seems to be pretty solid) is steering me away from a SWG as I will need to be using a Heat Pump to heat my pool. Live in OH, and need to extend seasons, etc.

Reason being that the salt will over time cause failure of the Heat Pump and there are other ways to keep the pool in chlorine that work. He is pushing for an auto feeder, but I am freaked out over driving the CYA levels through the roof. I plan on supplementing with bleach, but over time the feeder will be useless.

So any ISSUES with a SWG and HEAT PUMP combo ?

Thanks in advance!

but I am freaked out over driving the CYA levels through the roof.

Slow down there toofast....

I have a heat pump and a SWG. My heat pump has a titanium core. I believe i have read that was a concern in the
past, but not a conern with a titanium core heat pump. My pool builder didn't offer any concerns with my setup last summer when it was installed.

What brand equipment is he selling you? I would call that company and ask them!

What kind of auto-feeder is he trying to sell you? There are setups to will auto-feed bleach for you, but you will still need to haul it all.

I agree, contact the heater manufacturer and ask.

Hehe....yes I do like to go "fast"

Ok, feeder is a CMP Large Automatic inline tablet feeder - so I think it has those tabs that will push my CYA through the roof.

The heat pump is the AquaCal Tropical 135 Series Heat Pump with the High performance titanium heat exchanger - and since AquaCal sells SWG - I guess I already know my answer.

Talked to my pool guy again and he mentioned that since I have "stone coping" around my pool, salt over time would eat away at it and it would be a very costly repair, thus why he was steering me away from a SWG ? That seems fair, or is he just being overly careful, which is not bad in my mind.

This warranty does not include damage due to freezing conditions, negligence or abuse, installations in corrosive environments or atmospheres, nor acts of God.

Does salt water pool = corrosive environment? IDK call and ask...

http://www.aquacal.com/warranty

I've read some stone is susceptible to damage, do you know exactly what type of stone is being installed?

Depends on the type of stone and how religious you are about sealing it.

The soft flagstone in TX seems to have a lot of problems, but most other stone we do not hear too much about.

Yeah, so I actually followed up your posts with a call to the MFG. DUH - they said we love Salt Water....our stuff is NON PORUOUS and you will have no issues.

So I guess I really gotta fight my contractor and consider a SWG...now the hunt begins.

Anyone want to help with recommending one for a 14,000 gal fiberglass pool ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Size the SWG for 1.5-3X the size of your pool ... so minimum 25k size, possibly 40k size.

Allows you to not run the pump as much and the SWg to operate on a lower setting so it should last longer.

There is no risk at all to a titanium core heat pump from salt. Even on a copper core heat pump the risk is so low that you can ignore it. Copper is sensitive to low PH and salt levels well over 6000. Titanium isn't affected at all by anything you might plausibly encounter.

jblizzle said:
Depends on the type of stone and how religious you are about sealing it.

The soft flagstone in TX seems to have a lot of problems, but most other stone we do not hear too much about.

My theory on that is that the (cheap, locally quarried) limestone in Texas is just not very durable. I have it around my whole pool, and can't tell the difference in wear between the ones right above the tile line and the ones on top of the wall 2' above it that rarely get pool water on them. One of my friends with a non-salt pool has noticeable wear on his as well, no cracks or chips but you can tell they're not in the same shape as when they were new. I think going with a non-porous material is likely the right answer for ANY pool.

That would be the minimum sized SWG we would recommend, larger would not have to run as much and should last longer.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

OK so for another $600 I can get the Pool Pilot Digital with the RC-35 / SC-36 Cell for up to 35K Gal pools. Seems like you are saying it is really worth it ? I guess I am confused on if I had to replace the cell, it actually looks like the EXACT same cell as the Nano. So the cell is $229 that means I would have to burn through 2.5 cells in order to recoup the extra $600 up front. Am I missing something ? To me it seems like simple math...it is the same exact cell, just has to run a bit hotter. Is it my CELL that is going to last longer or the POWER UNIT ?

To get a longer lasting SWG from Auto Pilot you would need to move up to the Digital with RC-42 manifold, which is a very nice unit, but quite a bit more money.

Cell lifetime goes by the cell size relative to your pool size, and does not relate to the control box/power supply. The larger power supply in the Digital can make more chlorine using the same sized cell, but the cell doesn't last as long as a result.

Ok I am learning...so once again...if it is the cell that dies, and I can buy almost 3 replacement cells and the nano which would equate to the Digital with the RC-42 manifold - doesn't it make sense economical sense to buy the Nano ? I am in NE Ohio, so my swim season is only 4 months, although my pool is in direct sun most of the day.

Am I being silly in my thinking ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.