Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I opened yesterday and noticed a small amount of water dripping down the return hose. After a close inspection, it appears that, when the pump is running, some water escapes out the top of the hose at the return connection. I've got the hose pushed up on the return inlet as far as it can go and tighted the clamp as much as possible. I've also tried loosening the clamp and moving it slightly to see if that helped but no luck.

Anything I am missing? Is it likely that the hose opening is just slightly out of round and should be replaced?

Also, is there a formal name for these hoses that run from pool to filter and back? When I do an internet search it always comes back with vacuum or backwash hoses. I would like to find 15 foot or so section if it exists since my filter is kind of far from my pool.

Linen,

No it is just typical flex hose, I sometimes see it called flex hose or filter connection hose. I'll try a second clamp and I can post a pic later tonight. It looks like what is in this link:

http://www.americansale.com/Products/15 ... 08115.aspx

As for flexible pvc, would this be an upgrade to the flex hose? I seem to have the symptoms of a small suction side leak that I cannot find and my guess is that it is because I had to hook together 2 pieces of this flex hose to reach the pool. Thinking if I replace it with a single piece my problems would go away.

That hose you are using is notorious for getting leaks due to the flexing convolutions and having fairly high head loss. I would go to either hard plumbing, flex pvc, or at least braided reinforced pvc hose.

Thanks Linen, I've been struggling with the plumbing set up and location ever since I got things up and running last year. Hard plumbing is not something I have the skill or inclination to tackle right now, but flex PVC I think I could handle. The filter is about 10-12 feet from the pool so the runs are somewhat long for an AGP, and further a direct run means hosing right across one of the walkways, so I would need to detour it a bit to go behind some stairs. I would guess this would be less than 20 feet total.

Would you foresee any problems with the length of this run using flex pvc?
Also, how does flex pvc connect? Would I simply use the same type of clamps I use for the hose?

Ok, I understand the glue where it attaches to the filter and pump, but what about where it attaches to the skimmer and return? If I glue then how would I remove for the winter?

Thanks so much Linen, I think I finally have some direction on solving this issue!

Pauls234 said:
Ok, I understand the glue where it attaches to the filter and pump, but what about where it attaches to the skimmer and return? If I glue then how would I remove for the winter?
If you have a nipples there right now, they may be threaded into the skimmer and return and you can replace that with the fittings to a union and that can be glued to the flex pvc. You would also want a unions near the pump and filter.

Thanks Linen, I will see what I can find at the hardware store to make this work. I believe there are unions or threads at each connection except for the return, which is just a smooth piece that I currently slide and clamp the hose to. I'm sure I can find something at the hardware store to make it work. I'll post back with pictures if I run into any questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well Linen, my chasing ghosts for small suction side leak problems appear to be over! I bought a 50 foot roll of flexible pvc (this stuff is awesome!) and replaced the pool flex hose I was using on the suction side. Even when the skimmer basket filled with leaves, I lost pressure, but did not fill my system with air. I'd had this issue all last year and so far this season and I was constantly checking and tightening every single clamp and connection, and all this time it was the actual hose itself!

Next up, replacing the return side line.... when you say "nipple" do you mean just a smooth piece that a flex hose would slide over and clamp to? That is what I have on the return side going into the pool, so I'm not exactly sure what pieces I would use to get the proper fitting to connect the flex pvc to there. May just go with the rubber coupler you mention....

Thanks again for your help, so glad to cross this off my list, I finally almost have this pool in steady state.

Good news on the flex pvc...did you glue it into fittings?

Pauls234 said:
Next up, replacing the return side line.... when you say "nipple" do you mean just a smooth piece that a flex hose would slide over and clamp to? That is what I have on the return side going into the pool, so I'm not exactly sure what pieces I would use to get the proper fitting to connect the flex pvc to there. May just go with the rubber coupler you mention....
Yes, that is what I am referring too. Is you nipple part of the return fitting and not just screwed on to it? Replacing a return fitting is easy and you could get one that is threaded. Otherwise, you could go the fernco route.

Here is the "Fenco" coupler adapter I used to connect from 1 1/2" flex PVC to my return / light fixture combo (which I think was 1 1/4"):

IMG_1957_zps308ebae1.jpg

Here's a shot backed up to show the complete plumbing (taken this spring with new flex line on skimmer):

IMG_2785_zpsbb1a2448.jpg

The top picture was last fall when I blew one of the cheap flex hoses. Just this past weekend I replaced my skimmer line with flexible PVC and replaced my light return with a standard "eye ball" return due to a leak. With the replacement of the return I changed from the Fenco connector to a union, elbow, and threaded connector.

Photo of the new connection at the new return (showing my leak dripping because I used Teflon tape):
IMG_2806_zps521033a4.jpg

Just be sure to use the proper PVC thread sealant and NOT Teflon tape! (This was my mistake - leaked no matter what I did!) http://www.lowes.com/pd_23538-138-31230L_0__?productId=4750813&Ntt=oatey

See these " "Do's and Don'ts" of Assembling Threaded Plastic Fittings" : http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcenter/TheDosandDontsThreadedPlastic.asp

Hope this helps!

-Garry

Thanks Garry and Linen! I finally got around to doing the return side since I had to drain filter and clean the cartridge anyway. I just went with the fernco fitting on the return side, since the nipple is fixed and part of the fitting. Plus, it makes it much easier to disconnect when I need to, and I do need to!

Anyway, bottom line - all the little minor annoyances and inefficiencies that I could never quite solve or track down are all gone thanks to using the flex pvc and dropping those cheap flex hoses. System is running better than it ever has, and flex pvc is so easy to work with! Everyone else with those little suction side leaks using flex hose, take notice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.