Chlorease SWG in AGP

Apr 8, 2013
This is our third summer with our pool, and the previous two have not been successful in regards to being a salt water pool. This year we are taking control of things ourselves instead of visiting the questionable pool store. We have shocked and balanced, going from spinach soup to cloudy. I now have a couple of questions about our SWG.

FC 4
pH 7.5
CYA approx. 80 (I have ordered one of your recommended test kits so I will soon be able to test accurately!!!)

1) Should we go ahead and add salt while the water is still cloudy? Then turn on the SWG? (We drained/refilled this year). Or, wait until water is clear?

2) We have a Chlorease 100 SWG, and have not been satisfied with its productivity for our 17,400 pool. We are now concluding it just isn't big enough for our pool. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help!

You can add salt whenever you want, but you should complete the shock process before turning on the SWG.

I could not find specs for the Chlorease 100 (I found CL01 and CL02), but I am guessing you are right and it is too small, which likely required you to run the pump 24/7 to generate enough FC. The specs I did find stated for up to 18k gallon pools .. and that is likely with a 24/7 run schedule.

We recommend sizing the SWG 1.5-3X the size of your pool, so you should be looking in the 40k gallons cell size.

You are correct, it is the Chlorease CL01, my mistake.
When we purchased the pool, this is the SWG that they sold us. Ugh.

Next question:
Is it even worthwhile to try using this SWG? If so, we should expect having to add additional chlorine periodically, correct?

Thanks so much for your time.

Well, you would just have to try it to see if it can maintain the required FC. Actually it does not run off the pump, so it could be running 24/7 without the need to run the pump.

Have you read Pool School and this: pool-school/recommended_levels

You will need "higher" levels of CYA to help the SWG, but you still may have to watch and supplement with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.