Partial fill for AGP and new liner?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
I tried searching the forums to see if this has already been asked and answered, but didn't find anything.

We recently purchased a used AGP and will be replacing the liner. We are going to have to dig down about 18 inches to get down to a level pad. We are also going to be putting in a deep end.

What I need to know is if we are not able to completely fill the pool in the first couple of days are we going to risk it getting damaged by the wind? We live in the country and are on a well. We don't want to completely drain the well as that is our only water supply. The area that we are going to place the pool will receive un-sheltered wind from the South and from the West.

What we would like to do is just put a foot or so of water in the pool (at the shallow end and the deep end will be full) and then let the water temperature heat up a little bit in the sun. Then over the course of the next several days continue to put more water in as our well will allow. Hopefully the water temp will increase a little each day also.

I have tried to find someone to haul water in for us, but have not located anyone yet.

What do you think? What is the minimum amount of water we would want in there in order to secure it until we can add more water? We do have a water tank that fits in the back of a pickup but it only holds 200 gallons and that would be a lot of trips to get water!!! :shock:

Dittos, that thing can catch alot of wind so its not good to leave it mostly empty and exposed to wind.
The most stressful day during install for me was putting the walls up, it was forecast for high winds but I decided to push on and go for it. Well, part way thru the winds did kick up and it got stressful, everything was fine but there's definitely some risk to appreciate.

Not sure what your solution is but there's some risk in your plan, is there a bulk water company (or fire dept) that can fill the pool?

That is the very reason why I pay $250 for pool water to be trucked in (half load of 5000gal to top off pool plus extra hose charge since I'm at least 300ft off main road)...on a well with a VERY old well pump that can only be run MAX 10 minutes at a time before it starts to overheat (plus our well water is loaded with minerals). That would be the best route to go if you can find a delivery company...would think that every state has one. Mine comes direct from the city...cold, clear and chlorinated. :)

Striking out so far. I have probably made 2 dozen phone calls and can't find anyone that will haul. They also don't seem to know anyone that will haul water. I even followed a small tanker truck the other day for a few miles until he stopped and I asked him if he could haul fresh water and he said no they only haul chemicals to the farmers.

I've tried the fire dept, the water dept. in the town nearby. I've called several pool companies. I've called the local co-op. I even called a semi type company that advertises they do "bulk liquid" hauling. There was a place listed in the phone book that was called "Just Add Water", nope they do pond and water features, but don't haul water.

I'm going to try some of the smaller towns around here and see if they will do it for a nice donation. Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

We may be swimming in 10" of water all year!!! :)

QuiltinMom said:
Striking out so far. I have probably made 2 dozen phone calls and can't find anyone that will haul. They also don't seem to know anyone that will haul water. I even followed a small tanker truck the other day for a few miles until he stopped and I asked him if he could haul fresh water and he said no they only haul chemicals to the farmers.

I've tried the fire dept, the water dept. in the town nearby. I've called several pool companies. I've called the local co-op. I even called a semi type company that advertises they do "bulk liquid" hauling. There was a place listed in the phone book that was called "Just Add Water", nope they do pond and water features, but don't haul water.

I'm going to try some of the smaller towns around here and see if they will do it for a nice donation. Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

We may be swimming in 10" of water all year!!! :)
Call some paving companies. They usually have water trucks to spray and keep down dust.

THANKS!!! Hadn't thought of them. Will give that a shot.

Can you use pond water? I think I saw a thread on here somewhere about someone using pond water. I don't know if they were joking and just referring to their dirty water as pond water or if they actually filled with pond water.

There is a pond just down over the hill that would make good short hauls. Would the water need to be tested before using it?

QuiltinMom said:
THANKS!!! Hadn't thought of them. Will give that a shot.

Can you use pond water? I think I saw a thread on here somewhere about someone using pond water. I don't know if they were joking and just referring to their dirty water as pond water or if they actually filled with pond water.

There is a pond just down over the hill that would make good short hauls. Would the water need to be tested before using it?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/help-me-do-1st-step-had-to-fill-with-pond-water-t57841.html is the thread in question. Read through that, maybe PM the original poster and ask for any insights.

How far away is over the hill? How much elevation difference? A submersible pump and several hundred feet of garden hose might be cheaper than a water truck.

Richard mentioned paving companies having tankers made me think of the local dirt racing track with their tanker and then of rodeo grounds as well. Most have some way to keep the dust down, you might try them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
Call some paving companies. They usually have water trucks to spray and keep down dust.

THANKS!!!! You should have seen the light bulb explode when I mentioned this to my DH. We have a friend that is a "dirt" contractor and hauls all kinds of dirt, gravel, etc. He also has a water truck. When we are closer to our build then we will check with him to see what he would charge to haul some water in.

THANKS for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.