Cracked pipe...what is it and what can I do about it?

brian4110

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll try to keep this short. I've got the PBs coming next week to open my pool. (I'm a new owner.) I took a walk out to inspect the filter/pump/heater apparatus this morning and found that one of the many pipes had a huge longitudinal crack with displacement. See the pics. The pipe in question feeds the same channel that my gutter pipe is going to.

What is this pipe? Where is it taking water from and how critical is it? Any guesses as to what could cause this or how it can be fixed? Should I trust the PBs to diagnose and correct or is this a DIY job?

Any help is appreciated!

Introduction and pool background here:
new-pool-in-pittsburgh-t58896.html

Attachments

• whole pump and filter.JPG
    whole pump and filter.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 173
  • crack markup.png
    crack markup.png
    396 KB · Views: 173
Seems like it would be the backwash/waste line coming from your filter. Can you trace that pipe back to your multi port valve?

If that is what it is, my question is why did it just crack like that. It would only ever have waterflow when you either vacuum to waste or backwash your filter. That said if it is just a waste line you could easily fix it, but again why did it crack, is it under stress, did they have to bend the pipe to connect it up?

I'd be suspecting you might have a clog in your downspout drain that is causing water to back up into the waste line where it froze over the winter.

Thanks for the quick responses and good stuff all around.

I can't believe I didn't realize it is probably the backwash from the filter...what else would be going 'down the drain.' I'll try to uncover the pipe when I get home from work and verify that. Thanks harleysilo.

I do have kids, so quite possible that someone stepped on it. I bought the house back in November and neither I nor the home inspectors noticed a cracked pipe, so I suspect it happened either from freeze/thaw ground stress or backfill from a clogged downspout. Good troubleshooting tips guys.

I'm hoping I can remove those stones easily replace the pipe.

brian4110 said:
Thanks for the quick responses and good stuff all around.

I can't believe I didn't realize it is probably the backwash from the filter...what else would be going 'down the drain.' I'll try to uncover the pipe when I get home from work and verify that. Thanks harleysilo.

I do have kids, so quite possible that someone stepped on it. I bought the house back in November and neither I nor the home inspectors noticed a cracked pipe, so I suspect it happened either from freeze/thaw ground stress or backfill from a clogged downspout. Good troubleshooting tips guys.

I'm hoping I can remove those stones easily replace the pipe.
That pipe is empty except for maybe ten minutes a year, and it's not under any great pressure, either. Just cut the ends square and buy some of those temporary rubber sleeves with hose clamps and splice in a new section of pipe. Less digging that way.
659647911745.jpg

Clogged drain pipe rings true to me too. Only caveat is that those downspouts were tested by the home inspectors in November so the clog must have occurred since then and I haven't noticed any pooling there during recent rains. Of course, I haven't looked closely either.

Looks like a trip to the home improvement store is in my plans.

Thanks!

Hard to see but looks like the slope of the pipe maybe the wrong direction in which case water could stay in there after backwashing, then freeze over the winter. If it does slope the wrong way either fix the slope or be sure to winterize.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL!

When I got home from work I did some further recon. I cleared the stone away from the pipe and it is definitely the waste line coming from the filter. So I guess that is as good news as I could hope for. The entire pipe, including another section on the other side of the elbow, is split. Might have been stress from being buried under those stones or it might have been that the previous owners didn't properly winterize...I hope none of the other lines are damaged! So I'll just have to replace that whole line, not just a section.

Thanks to all who contributed. I love this community!

If its a pipe for the back washed water you may wanna check where the end is at. I have heard some cities not allowing waste water to enter the sewage system.

Had to take kiddos to swim lessons (I'm there right now) so no chance to test for a clog. The entire length of pipe definitely does not have a consistent grade so I could easily see water pooling in that low section under the rocks. Not sure why the pipe was partially buried like that as the rocks had it under a bit of stress.

We just had a healthy bit of rain this morning (in Pittsburgh you never have to wait too long) and I can confirm that water is flying through that downspout. So I don't think there is a clog. I'm going to chalk it up to a bit of a grade problem combined with stress from being partially buried under those stones. Heading to the hardware store for materials today.

Hate to leave a thread without a conclusion...on Saturday I made the trip to Home Depot and picked up the requisite PVC parts. Cut out the old broken pipes and replaced them. Total cost ~ $20. Total time ~ 1 hour.

Thanks to all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.