Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked pipe...what is it and what can I do about it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracked pipe...what is it and what can I do about it?

I'll try to keep this short. I've got the PBs coming next week to open my pool. (I'm a new owner.) I took a walk out to inspect the filter/pump/heater apparatus this morning and found that one of the many pipes had a huge longitudinal crack with displacement. See the pics. The pipe in question feeds the same channel that my gutter pipe is going to.

What is this pipe? Where is it taking water from and how critical is it? Any guesses as to what could cause this or how it can be fixed? Should I trust the PBs to diagnose and correct or is this a DIY job?

Any help is appreciated!

Introduction and pool background here:
    new-pool-in-pittsburgh-t58896.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18' x 41' IG w/vinyl liner. 30000 Gallons. 78" x 78" poolside spa
    1.5 hp Hayward pump - sand filter & Tiger Shark QC robot
    Compool CP3800 Control Panel
    TF-100 kit
    Built in 2002. "Inherited" w/House in 2012. Located in Pittsburgh

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracked pipe...what is it and what can I do about it?

Seems like it would be the backwash/waste line coming from your filter. Can you trace that pipe back to your multi port valve?

If that is what it is, my question is why did it just crack like that. It would only ever have waterflow when you either vacuum to waste or backwash your filter. That said if it is just a waste line you could easily fix it, but again why did it crack, is it under stress, did they have to bend the pipe to connect it up?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably the waste line for backwashing. It might have gotten stepped on or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey! Here's an idea. Cut out the bad section and replace it with some of this. You want a sight glass? Ha! There will be no questioning,"is it clear?" with a setup like that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd be suspecting you might have a clog in your downspout drain that is causing water to back up into the waste line where it froze over the winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the quick responses and good stuff all around.

I can't believe I didn't realize it is probably the backwash from the filter...what else would be going 'down the drain.' I'll try to uncover the pipe when I get home from work and verify that. Thanks harleysilo.

I do have kids, so quite possible that someone stepped on it. I bought the house back in November and neither I nor the home inspectors noticed a cracked pipe, so I suspect it happened either from freeze/thaw ground stress or backfill from a clogged downspout. Good troubleshooting tips guys.

I'm hoping I can remove those stones easily replace the pipe.
    TF-100 kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by brian4110
    Thanks for the quick responses and good stuff all around.

I can't believe I didn't realize it is probably the backwash from the filter...what else would be going 'down the drain.' I'll try to uncover the pipe when I get home from work and verify that. Thanks harleysilo.

I do have kids, so quite possible that someone stepped on it. I bought the house back in November and neither I nor the home inspectors noticed a cracked pipe, so I suspect it happened either from freeze/thaw ground stress or backfill from a clogged downspout. Good troubleshooting tips guys.

I'm hoping I can remove those stones easily replace the pipe.
    That pipe is empty except for maybe ten minutes a year, and it's not under any great pressure, either. Just cut the ends square and buy some of those temporary rubber sleeves with hose clamps and splice in a new section of pipe. Less digging that way.

8. Back To Top    #8

I like JohnT's suggestion that downspout drain could be clogged, I'd stick a hose in there and find the end. I dont think it cracked from being stepped on its stronger than that.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Clogged drain pipe rings true to me too. Only caveat is that those downspouts were tested by the home inspectors in November so the clog must have occurred since then and I haven't noticed any pooling there during recent rains. Of course, I haven't looked closely either.

Looks like a trip to the home improvement store is in my plans.

Thanks!
    TF-100 kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Hard to see but looks like the slope of the pipe maybe the wrong direction in which case water could stay in there after backwashing, then freeze over the winter. If it does slope the wrong way either fix the slope or be sure to winterize.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I swear I thought the title said "Crack pipe...what is it and what can I do about it?" LOL

anyway yeah just cut out the brocken section and replace

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL!

When I got home from work I did some further recon. I cleared the stone away from the pipe and it is definitely the waste line coming from the filter. So I guess that is as good news as I could hope for. The entire pipe, including another section on the other side of the elbow, is split. Might have been stress from being buried under those stones or it might have been that the previous owners didn't properly winterize...I hope none of the other lines are damaged! So I'll just have to replace that whole line, not just a section.

Thanks to all who contributed. I love this community!
    TF-100 kit

13. Back To Top    #13

If its a pipe for the back washed water you may wanna check where the end is at. I have heard some cities not allowing waste water to enter the sewage system.

14. Back To Top    #14

The downspout definitely does not go into the sanitary sewer...passing a dye test is a condition for sale in our township and we just bought the house and had it tested last fall. Good thought though.
    TF-100 kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Tested for a clog yet? Or is it a bed angle?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Had to take kiddos to swim lessons (I'm there right now) so no chance to test for a clog. The entire length of pipe definitely does not have a consistent grade so I could easily see water pooling in that low section under the rocks. Not sure why the pipe was partially buried like that as the rocks had it under a bit of stress.
    TF-100 kit

17. Back To Top    #17

We just had a healthy bit of rain this morning (in Pittsburgh you never have to wait too long) and I can confirm that water is flying through that downspout. So I don't think there is a clog. I'm going to chalk it up to a bit of a grade problem combined with stress from being partially buried under those stones. Heading to the hardware store for materials today.
    TF-100 kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Hate to leave a thread without a conclusion...on Saturday I made the trip to Home Depot and picked up the requisite PVC parts. Cut out the old broken pipes and replaced them. Total cost ~ $20. Total time ~ 1 hour.

Thanks to all!
    TF-100 kit