Clarification on wiring a 2 speed pump

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
The wiring diagram on my pump is like the one shown below. This is for a 115v pump. I read it that the common is the neutral, and the hot goes to either the high or low speed. For now I am not using this as a 2 speed pump.

I'm troubleshooting right now, I wired it so the hot goes to high speed, but when I turn the pump on it just hums.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 23
From your description you wired it correctly for high speed. With the power off, make sure the motor shaft turns freely. Assuming that is fine, the most likely problems are a stuck starter switch or a bad capacitor, both very unusual on a new motor.

Yahoo, I just firgured it out. When I did the new seal kit, I added a new washer and left the old washer in there. I think this was putting too much pressure on the spring thing that slips onto the impeller. Everything works now after removing that washer. To your point, the first thing I did wash to check to see if the shaft was moving free- there was definitely a feel that something was slowing it.

Thanks Jason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.