New pool owner SWG addition questions

May 7, 2013
I'm a new pool owner after buying a house with one last fall. This forum has been by far the most useful source of information about pool issues, thanks to everyone who contributes. I opened the pool a few weeks ago and am getting ready to add a SWG. I'd like any advice I can get before installing. I purchased a SwimPure Plus with a T-15 cell. "setup_old" attachment is a picture of the existing pump, etc. setup.

[attachment=1:hdeg8fr2]setup_old.jpg[/attachment:hdeg8fr2]

As far as I can tell, I just need to move the input of the booster pump closer to the multiport valve and then make room for the SWG. My current plan (see crude drawing on "setup_new" attachment) is to put a tee just after the output of the multiport valve. Straight through the tee will be a 90 elbow that will connect to the flexible hose for the booster input. The other port of the tee will face upward. From it, i'll run up, over, and down to connect to the existing pipe just above the existing tee for the booster. The SWG (followed by the flow switch) will go in the long downward run of pipe. I'd just cap off the existing tee for the booster.

[attachment=0:hdeg8fr2]setup_new.jpg[/attachment:hdeg8fr2]

1. Does that sound reasonable?
2. Any suggestions to make maintenance or future expansion easier (including more extensive plumbing modifications)?
3. What is the purpose of the small black hose connecting the lower part of the return to the higher part after the main pump?
4. Will I mess up the purpose of the small black hose by making the return go higher than any other part of the system (to accommodate the SWG)?

Thanks for considering this, hopefully its a straightforward addition!

(P.S. - if you can tell me anything about my sand filter, I'd appreciate it - I can't make out anything from the peeling labels!)

Attachments

• setup_old.jpg
    setup_old.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 59
  • setup_new.jpg
    setup_new.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 58
Well, first #3/4: I have no idea what that black tube is for, never seen that before. Is it not connected to anything? It is allowing unfiltered water back to the pool ... so I would get rid of it.

You plan seems pretty good to me. I would actually consider digging down a bit on the return line and then after the SWG go straight down into the ground. That would eliminate a couple turns and get rid of the old booster T which is not needed., and get rid of the black tube (although you would have to plug the top hole or crimp the tub).

Actually, you may want to leave a little straight pipe between the multi-valve and the T so that you would have some pipe available if you needed to make another repair.

Unless someone else has an idea what the tube would be used for???

Thanks Jason. I'll plan to do as you suggested and run the SWG/flow switch straight down into the ground unless someone knows of a good reason to keep the black tube. In that case, I'll still plan to modify things a bit more because my booster pump quit working a few days ago and I've had a chance to test "plugging the tee." With a plug, and therefore full pressure, it leaks at the plug and at one of the several adapters that the original installer used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.