Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to site and new to caring for pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to site and new to caring for pool

My pool was built in 1995 but this is my first year taking care of it. It had algea growing so on 5/6 I put 2 bags of pool shock in and chlorine tablets in both skimmers. The water is now clear and I have the following test results on 5/8: FC - 7.5 CC - 0 TA - 90 CH 440 CYA 100 PH 7.2. Two issues - CC = 0 and CH seems too high. What do I need to do?

Kay Aycock
    IG
    Plaster
    DE

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New to site and new to caring for pool

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll give you some basic knowledge as to what those test results mean and what to do about them. CC = 0 is a good thing. CH of 440, while a bit high is manageable.

Your CYA is the biggest problem. It is too high and will make it difficult to keep algae out of your pool.

After reading, I'm sure you will have more questions and we'll be here to help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, kayaycock

What test kit did you use for those results?

A cya of 100 may actually be higher. Depending on the the kit you have, you can redo that test by using half pool water and half tap water then multiply you results by 2.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, kayaycock

What test kit did you use for those results?

A cya of 100 may actually be higher. Depending on the the kit you have, you can redo that test by using half pool water and half tap water then multiply you results by 2.

Thank you for your reply. I bought the kit recommended by TFP , the TF-100. I just received it so all the reagents should be new and reliable. I will try the tap water suggestion and see what I get. Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

With your CYA being high like that, you are going to have to change out some water to get it down to between 30 and 50. Also, stop using tablets and powdered forms of chlorine and use bleach. Tablets and some granules add CYA. You already have too much.