skimmer not pulling very much

Aug 31, 2012
My situation is a bit different than other posts.
I have 2 side wall skimmers. The one closest to the shallow end is not pulling like the one in the deep end. If I turn off the deep end skimmer is does pull better, but with not as much force. I thought it must be blocked so I put a hose in the pipe to try and force any material out. While doing that, a rubber thing on the hose nozzle was sucked into the pipe. 2 days later, the rubber piece was in the filter basket. I figured since it made it through, then there couldn't possibly be an obstruction. But the skimmer is still pulling very little. Any suggestions?

On another note, since I don't have a backwash on my pool, I have to vacuum it. I plug the slower pulling skimmer and turn off the bottom skimmer. First time I did this, it worked perfectly. Since then, each time I attach the vacuum (fill hose with water, connect one end to round disk and place in skimmer, attack other end to vacuum head) I lose the prime in my pump. I'm totally stumped! Again, suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a brand new motor and pump. First pool and I am trying really hard to figure out what the problem is without calling the pool guy.

First, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Is the new pump smaller than the old pump or is the entire pool new?

Also, describe the plumbing in a bit more detail. Pipe sizes, distance between the pool and equipment, pump model, type/size of filter, etc. It is helpful to put your equipment setup in your signature as outlined here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

mas985 said:
First, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Is the new pump smaller than the old pump or is the entire pool new?

Also, describe the plumbing in a bit more detail. Pipe sizes, distance between the pool and equipment, pump model, type/size of filter, etc. It is helpful to put your equipment setup in your signature as outlined here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

I think the pump is the same size as the old one. It is not a new pool.
I will have to gather the information you request and get back with you.
I can tell you it is a cartridge filter system. It has a Hayward pump installed 2 months ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.