Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer not pulling very much

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer not pulling very much

My situation is a bit different than other posts.
    I have 2 side wall skimmers. The one closest to the shallow end is not pulling like the one in the deep end. If I turn off the deep end skimmer is does pull better, but with not as much force. I thought it must be blocked so I put a hose in the pipe to try and force any material out. While doing that, a rubber thing on the hose nozzle was sucked into the pipe. 2 days later, the rubber piece was in the filter basket. I figured since it made it through, then there couldn't possibly be an obstruction. But the skimmer is still pulling very little. Any suggestions?

On another note, since I don't have a backwash on my pool, I have to vacuum it. I plug the slower pulling skimmer and turn off the bottom skimmer. First time I did this, it worked perfectly. Since then, each time I attach the vacuum (fill hose with water, connect one end to round disk and place in skimmer, attack other end to vacuum head) I lose the prime in my pump. I'm totally stumped! Again, suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a brand new motor and pump. First pool and I am trying really hard to figure out what the problem is without calling the pool guy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer not pulling very much

First, welcome to the forum.

Is the new pump smaller than the old pump or is the entire pool new?

Also, describe the plumbing in a bit more detail. Pipe sizes, distance between the pool and equipment, pump model, type/size of filter, etc. It is helpful to put your equipment setup in your signature as outlined here: pool-school/read_before_you_post
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: skimmer not pulling very much

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    First, welcome to the forum.

Is the new pump smaller than the old pump or is the entire pool new?

Also, describe the plumbing in a bit more detail. Pipe sizes, distance between the pool and equipment, pump model, type/size of filter, etc. It is helpful to put your equipment setup in your signature as outlined here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

I think the pump is the same size as the old one. It is not a new pool.
    I will have to gather the information you request and get back with you.
    I can tell you it is a cartridge filter system. It has a Hayward pump installed 2 months ago.