Dumb question about the drain plug on a Hayward heater...

May 7, 2013
First time opening a pool - putting all the plumbing back together, and everything seems fine (put the 2 plugs into the pump, got all the piping connected, etc). Water flows fine out of the pool in "waste" mode, but when I flip it over to the "filter" setting, water starts flowing through the heater and the drain plug in the header squirts water out of the hole in the middle.

I have the pressure control module, or whatever that part is inside the heater, installed, and it seems like everything should be fine. The drain plug is hollow and has two holes on the side of the "inside" end of the plug, and water just pours through there. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? I asked the guy at the local pool shop and he recommended a couple of wraps of teflon tape and then just hand tighten it in, which is what I've done.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Dumb question about the drain plug on a Hayward heater..

Does it look like this?
140008d1316964255-radiator-drain-plug-replacement-petcock.jpg

Because if it does, the larger threads need to be taped and screwed in tightly using the integral nut faces. Then the wings get unscrewed so it backseats and shuts the flow. That would be fingertight.

robandstuff said:
It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/PS9Wj6Hl.jpg

I don't see any interior threading on it, which was my first thought. Is there a rubber plug I should be looking for in the pool shed??

Thank you so much for replying!!!
Is the bottom of that thing tapered? It resembles a brake bleeder screw. The taper gets smashed against a port at the bottom and blocks the flow. If it's not, it might be corroded or the seat may be corroded. Here's a picture of how a brake bleeder works. If the thing was screwed in until the tapered end was smashed tight against the seat, the yellow fluid would not be able to get into the two holes and out the center.
brake_basic_hydraulics_bleeder_screw.jpg

It shouldn't need any tape - the sealing is done by the two tapered metal surfaces contacting eacgh other.

Not exactly (there's no standard bolt head/collar on it, and that top looks like it might be threaded? BUT, at any rate, I took the teflon tape of and it turned an extra 1/4 turn and no leaks. It was basically like the diagram you posted (minus the tapering). Thank you!

While I have your ear, my pressure gauge is "off". When the pump is off it's at the max reading (60psi) and moves up from there. Is there a way to reset these things, or do I have to buy a new one?

Thank you so much!

robandstuff said:
Not exactly (there's no standard bolt head/collar on it, and that top looks like it might be threaded? BUT, at any rate, I took the teflon tape of and it turned an extra 1/4 turn and no leaks. It was basically like the diagram you posted (minus the tapering). Thank you!

While I have your ear, my pressure gauge is "off". When the pump is off it's at the max reading (60psi) and moves up from there. Is there a way to reset these things, or do I have to buy a new one?

Thank you so much!
Buy a new one. They're cheap. And you already own the teflon tape you'll need to install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.