Proper Pump Selection

For a 22' x 52" Intex above ground ultra frame pool, 10500 gallons, 18" Sandman sand filter holding 110 pounds of sand, Intex SWG and through the wall skimmer in South Carolina. What would be a good choice and size of pump? The 18" Sandman when sold as a package with the pump, includes the 1 HP Swim Time maxi pump NE6151B. Wondering if a 3/4 HP pump of another brand might be a better choice of pump or a 1 HP of another brand would be better to look at. Perhaps a 1 HP or 3/4 HP two-speed should be considered.

Wondering about a Waterway HI-Flo or Waterway Supreme?

If converting the pools original water outlet to the pump (used before adding the through-the-wall skimmer) into a second pool water return, that may increase water flow back to the pool and be another item to consider the pump size?

Thanks

Did your current motor go bad or why are you looking to replace?

I would certainly go with a 2-speed and likely a 3/4HP is plenty big. There is no reason to need to higher flow rates that a bigger pump will give, although adding the 2nd return will help increase the flow rate.

No pump has gone bad, preparing to set up a new pool and want to make a wise choice for the pump. The sand unit is new but wasn't purchased with a pump. When packaged with a pump, it comes with a Swim Time 1 hp NE6151B. I was wondering about the Waterway Hi-Flo or Waterway Supreme pumps, the Swim Time pump or some other pump choice.

What HP is produced at low speed for a 1 HP pump and for a 3/4 HP pump?

What is the flow rate at low speed of a 1 HP and a 3/4 HP pump?

About what would be the flow return rate after passing through the sand filter and 1.5" piping?

Thank You

Why does HP on low speed matter? The label HP on a pump does not accurate reflect the actual size of a pump. That is determined by the pump's head curve.

On low speed, the flow rate will be about 1/2 of the high speed.

But why are you so interested in flow rate?

The Pentair Dynamo or Optiflo two speed pumps would be a good choice although the smallest Optiflo two speed is a 1 HP while the Dynamo comes in a 3/4 HP.

Why interested in flow rate? I thought it was important to know the GPM in order to know the minimum length of time the pump should run in order to turn the water over at least once.

So trying to get advice on a pump selection. In the Hydraulics 101 Filter Size chart, it shows a 10000 gallon pool should have a 1.9 sq ft sand filter, so seems the 18" sand filter is right at that. Need a pump for it.

Is it wise or is it not advised to run a 2-speed pump at low speed for 24 hours 7 days? Is it better to have a 2-speed pump running at low speed and turn the water over once within 5 or 6 hours and do this twice within a 24 hour period?

Run time based on turnover is way over-rated. There really isn't a one size fits all answer to turnover. Some pools like mine need only 1/2 turnover per day even in the summer while others need more. So my advice for run time is start at 4 hours (if high speed, 6 if low) and see if that is enough to keep the pool clean. There are only a few objectives with run time:

Make sure there is enough chlorine in the water to hit the FC target. Not applicable for manual dosing although you need at least 30 min after dosing.

Keep surface and bottom clean of debris. This is what most often drives run time.

Other than that, run time is a waste of energy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.