Dead Zodiac G4, Need replacement, Kreepy Krauly or G3?

May 3, 2011
PSL, FL
So I have a Zodiac G4. Last week or so, the skirt has been falling off. So I started looking around to get a new one. I've been a little worried about it because it's a few years old and just seemed to be getting brittle feeling.

Well, when I fished it out to put the skirt back on this morning, the sail broke.

So now I'm looking at a sail and a skirt and I'm getting close to a new cleaner at this point. There are other parts on the G4 that feel brittle as well.

So I noticed the G4 is no longer made by Zodiac, which I am thinking may be due to complaints from the plethora of relatively brittle parts on it as opposed to the G3.

So then I started looking at a G3 and trying to find reviews. It reviews pretty well, but it's compared a lot to the Kreepy Krauly and Kreepy Kruiser.

So I'm looking there as well.

Are there any folks here who have experience with both the Kreepy's and the G3? Which do you prefer and why?

I saw this guys pool cleaner reviews on Youtube and he says the Kreepy Krauler is the best.

http://youtu.be/A1VaqsS2ZxU

However, it has a lot of parts and even he has replaced almost all these parts over the years. The Kruiser has a lot less parts. The G3 has the diaphragm which needs replacing about every year. I don't get a ton of stuff in my pool. South Florida, some leaves, some pine needles. I also had a Hayward Navigator in the past, too many broken parts for me on that one.

What do you guys recommend?

jblizzle said:
If I were to get a suction cleaner it would be either the Zodiac MX-8 or the Poolvergnuegen Pool Cleaner 2 based on the good reviews.

Here's what I don't like about those. After my experience with the Navigator, I see all those wheels and gears and what not, and say never again.

Other than my G4 "dissolving" it has been "OK". The Navigator seemed to require something every month or so. The cost over a year was ridiculous, and it just kept wearing and wearing.

jblizzle said:
Yes ... but the reviews for the Navigator are HORRIBLE for the reasons you have described ... not so for the 2 I mentioned.

Thanx!

I'll look them over, I also want something that is good at getting algae if it rears it's ugly head, and most of those wheeled jobbies don't do that well. I can get the KK for about $200 after Rebate.

Well, a cleaner is NOT the solution for algae ... adequate FC is. Keep enough chlorine and there is not algae to worry about.

Personally I have never used a suction side cleaner, so take anything I say with a grain of salt ;) My robot died and I was considering getting something cheaper in the suction class and those were the 2 I came up with based on the reviews and discussions on this site. Turns out my FIL had a robot he did not like and basically gave it to me ... I agree it is not nearly as nice as the one I had, but it works, so I have not pursued the suction option.

With the MX-8 rebate, I think they are $300, I think the Pool Cleaner 2 can be found for just under $300, so certainly a little more $ ... just newer technology and a lot of good reviews from service personnel on the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.