Air bubbles under liner

May 8, 2013
Hi My name is Michelle, I put a new liner in my above ground pool 16x32 oval, there were two Air bubbles that popped up at the end of the season. Note I have the vinyl bottom and styrofoam cove and padding on the wall it was harder than it looked and never want to do that my-self ever again! :oops: :cry: Anyway, when I took the cover off a week ago there is one bigger bubble closer to the edge this time. read some of your post that suggest to use a plunger to get it up the wall. However my pool is almost full of water will this still work or do I need to take it down to 1/4 or so? I do see where the other air bubble went down and there are a few wrinkles which does not bother me you can't really see them, But is it okay to leave them?
Thank You
Michelle

Air couldn't get under the liner with the weight of the water inside. It almost has to be water behind the liner. The plunger trick is to move wrinkles. If you have water behind the liner, unless your pool is set partly into the ground, you should be able to work it up or down with your hands.

Welcome to tfp, michelledavis05 :wave:

I agree with JohnT, that sounds like water. Is your pool bottom at ground level or is it sunk in?

I would guess that it will go away as the ground dries out. I would not drain your pool at this point, since that could make it worse.

thank you for your suggestion, I will try and move it with my feet or hands and just an f.y.i when we touch it it does go down and disappearsand then returns with in a minute that is why I thought it was air.
Michelle

Still not air down down under the liner...it's water. Give it a few days and it should disappear as the ground water level lowers. Do you have any visible standing water around the pool?

Go ahead and shoot your hot tub questions at us. You can use this thread or start a new one.

okay I would still like to talk about the pool first I put more water in the pool well its pretty much full now I just turned on the filter and then I looked at the bubble again and it looks bigger my worry is that it will pop before I can get in there to move it so when we do touch it it does go down remember I have vinyl on the floor under the liner and foam Cove so if I het it to the side it will just hopefully go away right? Stressed.!
Michelle

also it has been 80 degrees here for two weeks so I don't think there is much ground water, the bubbles have been there for quite a while since last September so I don't think they're gonna leave in a couple of daysthere was two bubbles now just one big one about a foot away from the edge. the bubble is a dome about a foot round.
Michelle

I don't think pushing it out is going to help, but it shouldn't hurt to try. Other than ground water, the only other possible cause I am thinking of might be gophers/moles tunneling, but I would expect that to end up being a hole and not a bubble up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe you are right about the water under the liner when I put the liner up one sided fell down and I believe a little bit of water got under the Liner I thought I had got it al up with a towel, one probably major detail I forgot to inform you of! :hammer: sorry it was very hot last summer when I put the liner up so it's hard to see off the reflection of the white gorilla bottom. Does it help that when my kids touch it push down on it it goes down but then reappears. that being said what's your suggestion now still just trie to push it out to the side.sorry about the drawn out story no we've had trouble from the get go last summer when the first liner got a hole in it.and it was just me and my younger son trying to put in the new linerone of the walls fell as we were filling it and I had to go to work and my son was in the pool by himself holding it up until I got home just a small part of the story :blah:

hopefully this works, sorry the pool is dirty i just opened it. It's clean now this pic was a few days ago! the bubble is towards the back the one clean spot i will try and send another.

Attachments

• 20130508_150029_resized_1.jpg
    20130508_150029_resized_1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 90
so what about a plunger and working towards the edge? My thought is there must be some air because when we push on it it goes down.there must have been a little bit the water when we put the liner in last year that got on the vinylI thought I had got it all up with the towel but I must of missed but it would have been very little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support