Adding salt/ borates to soften water feel in a chlorine pool

blownby

Apr 30, 2013
NW Ohio
So i was reading around and stumbled across this...

Seems that if you go up to about 1800ppm you shouldn't notice the taste at all yet have "softer" water?

How many have done this and is it a noticeable difference?

Also any long term issues with the extra salt in the water and around the house, yard, equipment, etc....

Whats the deal with the borates?

Man so much to see and learn on this site! :party:

Re: Adding salt/ borates to soften water feel in a chlorine

I have added salt previously without a SWG to improve the feel ... this was after moving from a house that had a SWG.

After a recent water change, I have not added more yet, for various Chem 201 reasons, but will be going back to salt. I never had a problem with the salt affecting anything around the pool.

SWG typically want around 3500 ppm of salt which is still only 10% of the ocean's concentration.

There is no effort involved in adding salt, besides carrying all the bags one time.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

dafuzz said:
I have both, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Suggestions then for how much of each or what levels to aim for for each to feel so Oh so silky smooth!! :whoot:
Also what products and where do you suggest I look.

jblizzle said:
There is no effort involved in adding salt, besides carrying all the bags one time.

Hahah :hammer: Guess I meant the cost more so! :cheers:

I bought enough Boric Acid from dudadiesel.com for 50ppm, and brought my salt up to ~3000ppm, I did this in advance of getting my SWG installed. For the next few weeks, I'm just using straight bleach for sanity. Or is that sanitize? Same thing methinks.

The cheapest salt is the solar salt you can find at a hardware store ~$4/40lbs.

You can shoot for about 2000ppm to get most of the feel ... may want to test first as all forms of chlorine add salt already. Use the poolcalculator to determine how many pounds you need to add.

Borates is more effort as you have to add the borax and the acid and have to have the TA lowered before you start which can be a lot of work.

I would start with the salt and see if you need the borates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, My tf 100 test gets here today. But looks like I will need a test kit for borates and salt. Salt should be easy. What about borates?

I will start with salt first and see how the feel is? Should I am for 2000ppm still with no plans for a SWG presently.

You could have a pool store test for salt ... they may not test for borates. Or buy yourself a kit.

Yes aim for 2000ppm without a SWG ... SWG generally want closer to 3500ppm.

blownby said:
Does the borates level fall much given I use a cartridge filter and will pretty much nbe adding water due to evaporation and splashing>

I bought extra, for example, ~31k Gallons, is roughly 75lbs Boric Acid. Obtained 2 55lb Pails, measured it by eye, went over a wee bit. Have partial pail in reserve to add as needed.

I'm in North Florida, where the humidity is oft-times lower, and it rains quite a bit. So I have extra salt and boric acid should the need arise. I was a Boy Scout, so I tend to lean towards being prepared :lol:

Pool salt = solar salt that has been put through a grinder. Same stuff.

Just look for solar salt with no added "stuff"

I'm writing this post as a reply, but if it meets standards, it can be used by others as a reference.

If you desire to go the way of the borate, you should familiarize yourself with this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

In that first post, Boric Acid isn't discussed, but further on in the thread it is, as well as other threads you can free search the forums here for "boric acid" to get ideas.

Then, go to:

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

See how much Boric Acid you need according to how much water you have in your pool. I would pay particular attention to inputting correct numbers; as you may have already added Borax and have a borate level already. I did not, as I had just filled the pool. It is also understood and those in the know harp on the importance of having TA and PH at the recommended levels. I can now see why this is, as my PH runs low normal, no matter how much I aerate since adding the borates. Suffice to say, I'm sold on what I perceive to be facts listed in the borates thread and elsewhere.

In order to accurately make sure you can input numbers in the pool calculator, one needs a good test kit. I bought mine via TFP, and added on the Borate and Salt test strips. I got it in a hurry, too. It has been worth its weight in gold to me, even though I have several pool stores within an easy driving distance. And yes, I do randomly take water to the various stores, just to check things out, as I'll probably do a shame post on the over-selling that happens. Here's the link for the test kit:

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

So, now one has read up on the process, gone through the chemistry involved, and got things in check according to the established parameters. Now you're ready to borate your pool. Instead of going the Muriatic Acid/Borax route, I found it much cheaper and easier to buy bulk boric acid via DudaDiesel. They'll only ship it via FedEx Ground. If you don't need much, you can get it with free shipping. But I also found the price is quite close, and perhaps a wee bit cheaper to get a larger size and pay the freight. It is further suggested to get the granular boric acid and brush it in, versus buying the powder, which is reported to clump. Took an hour in 74 degree water to brush in the boric acid. AND, the plastic pails are nice and tall, and they make a nice sitting stool :cool:

Here's the link:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/

You can also search ebay, as DudaDiesel has a store there as well. Compare prices, when I first searched, there was a few dollar savings on Ebay even with the fees, but when I was ready to buy, it was the same exact price either way.

My caveat to adding borates: Once you get the boric acid ordered, test again with your test kit, then test the next day, and right before you add. Make sure that any changes you may wish to make to PH and TA are complete, and have stabilized for a few days. Measure twice, cut once as an old carpenter told me....

great post. Thanks,
I just got the tf-100 test kit. I need to get a salt & borates test kit.
I read a little way thru the thread linked, but it does get rather long!

I have the understanding of how to add the borax & acid. Just have to see if the boric acid is a different process or any cheaper. If minimal savings I will just go the borax route as I can grab locally.

Am I reading stuff right....If I go the boric acid route for borates, I just add boric acid and no muratic acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.