My new 2 speed Century replacement motor

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
I made the plunge and decided to replace my 1hp Hayward Superpump motor (single speed) with this AO Smith/Century motor. So far looks like a good move, as this motor seems to be made so much better than the motor that came with the pump (another AO Smith, but like a lot of things I suspect a replacement motor is in a different class than an 'OEM' motor attached to pumps being sold).

Interesting is the lack of paint on the ends of the motor, which differs from the pictures you see online. I called the manufacturer and found that the metal is aluminum, so it shouldn't rust. Apparently they had problems with paint staying on the aluminum and decided to avoid it altogether.

Also interesting is that the motor is 3/4 HP full rated but according to the sticker its actually 1.13 HP.

This motor is an inch or so fatter than the original motor, so I had to trim the based that the motor sits on.

Attachments

• century motor.jpg
    century motor.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 42
The sticker is showing the Total HP which is different than the label HP. So the total HP = Label HP (0.75) * Service Factor (1.5) = 1.125 which is rounded to 1.13. The "True" HP is the total HP and that is what should be used when sizing a motor. As long as that is larger than the previous motor's THP, then it should work fine.

linen said:
Which model motor did you purchase?

B973

The service factor on the old motor was 1.1. So 1.1*1 = 1.1. Pretty much an exact match to this new one. Except this one is rated at 11.2amps for the high speed and 5amps low (the old motor was 15amps). So a little bit of amperage savings there.

mas985 said:
Yea, that looks to be the wrong frame for a Superpump.

It was easy to trim the plastic footing with my jigsaw. Trimmed all of 3/8". Sits fine now. Mark, any chance you could chime in on the thread I started (questions-for-mark-t58906.html) that had a few questions for you, even though its sort of irrelevent now since I bought the new motor. I was most interested in how you can "get away" with using a 1/2HP motor considering your pool size, 2nd story solar panel, etc....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.