Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Second season, pH still going up

1. Back To Top    #1

Second season, pH still going up

So Im in my second season. My pool should be cured. But Im still using about 2 gallons of acid a month. This is a lot better than last year when I was using 16-32 ounces/day

We dont have any water features, but we do have a spa spill over that I barely have running, just enough to keep water flowing into/out of the spa. It doesnt really splash, but just keeps the tiles on the spillover wet.

There is a small air leak on the spa returns so a few bubbles come through

Some of the returns disturb the surface water, but no bubbles or anything, just surface swelling and swirling

Are these enough to cause pH to keep rising? Could it be anything else?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Second season, pH still going up

Everything you mentioned will contribute some, but the bigger question is: What is your TA? If that is high, then that will drive the pH up faster.

Then the question is what is the pH and TA of the water you use to top off the pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Everything you mentioned will contribute some, but the bigger question is: What is your TA? If that is high, then that will drive the pH up faster.

Then the question is what is the pH and TA of the water you use to top off the pool?
    My TA is 60, TA of fill water is 170, pH 8.3
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, that'll do it.

I learned from experience that every inch of water I add to my pool requires about a cup of acid. Now I just dump it in while I'm filling and fine tune things if necessary the next day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Honestly I am surprised your pool is only at 60ppm with such high TA and pH fill water ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Honestly I am surprised your pool is only at 60ppm with such high TA and pH fill water ...
    I add a lot of acid..

Some off topic rambling has been moved here.