Pump selection

GFH

May 8, 2013
Good day all.

I have a 24' AGP.

My old Jacuzzi Pump (7LA-S1) finally packed it in after I have no idea how many years so I'm looking for a replacement.

The old Jcuzzi was 3/4 and I imagine not the most effiecient pump design.

I was leaning toward a 1HP Hayward Matrix just to get a bit more water moving but as the old pump had no problem keeping the pool clear I thought well maybe 1HP might be too much.

So I began debating a 2 Speed 1.5HP Matrix. I am assuming at half speed, half the flow and HP which would might match what I had and I would have the extra for heavy use or cleaning.

Is there such thing as "Too much" pump (and I don't mean reference a 3 phase 5HP pump :) ) ie would the NEW 1HP Matrix but substainly more pump than mu old Jacuzzi?

Other info, I have a heater and Sand Filter. SandFilter is also an old Jacuzzi

Thanks guys.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The only reason you need a large pump is if you have high flow rate requirements ... spa, waterfall, etc.
A bigger pump will cost more initially and use more electricity.

I would suggest looking for a small 3/4-1HP 2-speed which will be run on low most of the time. On high, they are the same as a single speed. On low they move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the electricity, so even doubling the runtime will save 50% of the power cost.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.