Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opening pool all levels low where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

opening pool all levels low where to start

OMG please help. I have a 24 ft round intex pool hols aprox 13,500 gallons water with intex .95 pump with 100 lb sand filter. Refilled this year with city water. ( had small tear to repair so drained and started new. Please I know I need a good test kit but for now I only have strips. I shocked the other day with Calcium hypochlorite but levels will not stay. I am guessing it is because I have a :
    TA of 100
    Total hardnes 100-150
    Total Chlorine is about 100
    Free chlorine
    pretty much zero
    Ph is no doubt belo 7.2
    no stabilizer out in as of yet
    I did put in 1 box of baking soda yesterday ( going sloooow)
    but adding that made no numbers increase.
    I do not know what to add first. My water is clear and I want it to stay that way! and calcuim hypochlorite (shock ) will not add calcium to the pool will it? I thought it was pretty much powered bleach. ( I know they use it at water treatment plants for city water)
    Bleach was getting awfully hard for me to lift up and put in pool over the past year( getting old I guess)I do not want to add one thing as I know this works( used this method for years) but just do not know what to add first since I can NOT keep chlorine in it I thought I have to maybe add Borax first...just confused and frustrated THANK YOU to all on this site yo have been a huge help tp me for years

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opening pool all levels low where to start

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yeah ... those numbers are pretty useless.

How can FC be 0 and TC (and thus CC) be 100??? That would pretty much be the highest number this forum has likely ever seen and would require tanker trucks of bleach to clear up.

So you can not maintain FC because you have no CYA ... the sun is breaking it down very fast. You need to get your CYA up to around 30ppm and then keep maintaining FC.

All the rest, TA, CH, pH are fine and do not matter at this point.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank You! I will start with the cya then. I am sorry I did not mean 100 (that would be wonderful at this point if my chlorine was that high )it is at prettymuch 0 also. I just did not know if it was from no PH or if I needed cya up first so thank you again!

4. Back To Top    #4

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

If your "ultra-accurate" strips {sorry could not resist}, have a minimum pH of 7.2, then you are right it could be lower and adding some borax to raise the pH would be a good idea. Do you happen to have a cheap drop kit to test pH and TC? That pH test is much better than the strips and the same thing that the recommended test kits come with.

But, realize, the pH is really independent of getting the CYA and FC in the pool, they do not really affect each other.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would suggest you start in Pool School and read The ABC's of pool water chemistry to learn what needs to be tested and why it needs to be tested and what are the normal ranges. Reading that article is BASIC to begin clearing your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School