Anyone ever used Taylors Calculator?

ZAMFEak.png

Yeah, I think I'll stick with poolcalculator.com

BitViper said:
thehowheels said:
ZAMFEak.png

Yeah, I think I'll stick with poolcalculator.com

But which reagent Mfg did you choose.. I agree that the results are not what you would want.. but if their calculations are based on a specific Mfg's solutions I would expect to have some variance... I havent done a comparison between the two calculators..

And
1-4 for a CYA of 300
you mean 30 - 100 right?
and those are acceptable ranges for each parameter measured.. not correlated.. or am I missing something.. I'm a newbie

And the tips it gives are not very helpful:

Tips:
-Maintain an acceptable level of sanitizer at all times {True, but their levels are too low}
-In a chlorine-treated pool, add a chlorine shock treatment product weekly following product label directions. Let treatment circulate throughout the system, then retest to ensure chlorine is within the acceptable range before entering pool water. {No need if adequate FC is maintained}
-Use an algaecide if algae is a persistent problem. {No need if adequate FC is maintained}
-Use a stain and scale control product if staining and/or cloudy water is a persistent problem. {huh? usually cloudy water is algae and this product would not help}
-Keep the circulation and filtration system clean. {True}
-Make sure you know the correct pool water volume since important dosage calculations/recommendations are based on this parameter. {True}
-Test frequently and perform the required adjustments. Always let treatment circulate throughout the system before retesting. {True}
Consult with your pool professional on a regular basis or if problems are encountered. {Isn't that us :) }

I've got a pretty good grip on CYA and FC..... THX

and "And the tips it gives are not very helpful:" totally agree.. kinda common knowledge stuff

1. So what Iv'e gleaned.. is that no one has used that calculator before
2. Nobody knows who the mfg'er of the TF100 kits reagents is..

Also.. sorry for the double post... I have no idea how that happened

Sorry. I missed your #2 question.

The TF100 test kits uses the Taylor reagents ... the same chemicals used in all the Taylor test kits, just put into more useful sized bottles.
The manufacturers listed in the link have nothing to do with the test kits. All they are used for is so that if there was a problem with your pool (according to their levels which we all agree are wrong), the tool would recommend that BRAND's product by name to correct the problem.

We do not recommend any specific brand of product, we just recommend using what works for the cheapest cost.

I have certainly tried out the Taylor calculator before, though only for entertainment. The recommendations it gives are often wrong, occasionally dangerously so.

Probably the worst mistakes the Taylor calculator makes happens when you have very high TA levels. They tell you to add enough acid to lower the TA all at once. If you follow that direction it will lower the PH drastically. If your starting TA level is high enough this will result in significant damage to the pool.

Most of the other issues are nowhere near as dangerous, but can still cause problems. For example they say that an FC level of 1 is just fine when CYA is 100, which really isn't going to work. At least in this case all you will get is algae, rather than damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.