Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone ever used Taylors Calculator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone ever used Taylors Calculator?

http://watertesting.taylortechnologies.com/
    And.. Of the Mfg's listed on the page which is the supplyier for the TF Kits
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone ever used Taylors Calculator?

Yeah, I think I'll stick with poolcalculator.com
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Basically worthless since it says the recommended FC level is 1-4 for a CYA of 300 so it doesnt take the CYC FC relationship.
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BitViper
    Quote Originally Posted by thehowheels

Yeah, I think I'll stick with poolcalculator.com
    But which reagent Mfg did you choose.. I agree that the results are not what you would want.. but if their calculations are based on a specific Mfg's solutions I would expect to have some variance... I havent done a comparison between the two calculators..

And
    1-4 for a CYA of 300
    you mean 30 - 100 right?
    and those are acceptable ranges for each parameter measured.. not correlated.. or am I missing something.. I'm a newbie
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You are missing the understanding of the CYA to FC relationship where the CYA buffers the chlorine and higher FC levels are required to maintain sanitization:
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

And the tips it gives are not very helpful:

Tips:
    -Maintain an acceptable level of sanitizer at all times {True, but their levels are too low}
    -In a chlorine-treated pool, add a chlorine shock treatment product weekly following product label directions. Let treatment circulate throughout the system, then retest to ensure chlorine is within the acceptable range before entering pool water. {No need if adequate FC is maintained}
    -Use an algaecide if algae is a persistent problem. {No need if adequate FC is maintained}
    -Use a stain and scale control product if staining and/or cloudy water is a persistent problem. {huh? usually cloudy water is algae and this product would not help}
    -Keep the circulation and filtration system clean. {True}
    -Make sure you know the correct pool water volume since important dosage calculations/recommendations are based on this parameter. {True}
    -Test frequently and perform the required adjustments. Always let treatment circulate throughout the system before retesting. {True}
    Consult with your pool professional on a regular basis or if problems are encountered. {Isn't that us }
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I've got a pretty good grip on CYA and FC..... THX

and "And the tips it gives are not very helpful:" totally agree.. kinda common knowledge stuff

1. So what Iv'e gleaned.. is that no one has used that calculator before
    2. Nobody knows who the mfg'er of the TF100 kits reagents is..

Also.. sorry for the double post... I have no idea how that happened

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry. I missed your #2 question.

The TF100 test kits uses the Taylor reagents ... the same chemicals used in all the Taylor test kits, just put into more useful sized bottles.
    The manufacturers listed in the link have nothing to do with the test kits. All they are used for is so that if there was a problem with your pool (according to their levels which we all agree are wrong), the tool would recommend that BRAND's product by name to correct the problem.

We do not recommend any specific brand of product, we just recommend using what works for the cheapest cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I have certainly tried out the Taylor calculator before, though only for entertainment. The recommendations it gives are often wrong, occasionally dangerously so.

Probably the worst mistakes the Taylor calculator makes happens when you have very high TA levels. They tell you to add enough acid to lower the TA all at once. If you follow that direction it will lower the PH drastically. If your starting TA level is high enough this will result in significant damage to the pool.

Most of the other issues are nowhere near as dangerous, but can still cause problems. For example they say that an FC level of 1 is just fine when CYA is 100, which really isn't going to work. At least in this case all you will get is algae, rather than damage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School