Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Niche Prior to Collar Pour?

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Niche Prior to Collar Pour?

Should the light niche be installed before pouring the collar? And should the concrete come up around the bottom of the niche? My niche bottom is only 8 inches off the ground, so if I pour the suggested 10-12 inches it will be 2-4 into the niche.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Light Niche Prior to Collar Pour?

Not much info here to respond to. Are you building this pool? Do you have a PB?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the bottom of the niche is below the level the concrete will reach, the niche needs to be in place before you pour concrete.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Not much info here to respond to. Are you building this pool? Do you have a PB?
    My info is in my sig Its a DIY 18x36

The bottom of the niche will be below the level of the concrete, but I wasnt sure if it was normal setting the niche in concrete like that or if I should build a boxed area behind the niche to have the concrete not right up against it.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no problem having the niche in place as long as you either leave the area where the wiring conduit attaches clear, or also have the wiring conduit in place in advance as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would recommend not having the niche bedded in the bond beam concrete
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    I would recommend not having the niche bedded in the bond beam concrete
    I think ill put the niche in, and build some forms around it on the outside to keep the concrete several inches from the niche.