Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Connecting new pump to filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Connecting new pump to filter

Took the day off to open my pool today. In my old set up, the pump discharge was on the side so I was able to connect it directly to the filter inlet. However, the new pump has the discharge on the top, so no direct connection is possible. It is not a long run of course, but what is the best way to make this connection? I've not worked much with pvc or plumbing but am reasonably handy....

Here is a picture. Thanks for the help as always!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Connecting new pump to filter

Why such a large pump? Likely could have gotten something smaller that would have been cheaper to run.

In any case, I think a lot of the Waterway pumps can be changed to have side discharge ... although I am not 100% sure if your can be or not. What is the specific model number of the pump?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I probably could have gotten away with a 3/4HP, but I was coming down from a 2HP that I inherited, so I settled for 1HP. Couldn't help it! Also, I am contemplating adding solar heat and it may have to be a longish run, so wanted to ensure I had enough.

It does appear that it's possible to turn to the side, but the manual says nothing one way or another and I am reluctant to take things apart since it is new. Model # on the actual pump is ps-10-1N11CB. I could not find any manuals online other than the 4 page one that it came with, which is here.

http://www.waterwayplastics.com/manuals ... 3.1108.pdf
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, I saw the 2HP in the sig, so thought that was what you got ... the 1HP is a big step in the right direction

Yeah I tried the PSP 1100 number as well and did not find any documentation on if you can and how to rotate the volute. I would personally just start pulling it apart and see if it is obvious.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

What type of filter is that? Where does the multiport attach?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave - it's just a simple hayward voyager swim pro cartridge filter so I don't believe there is a multiport.

Jason - thanks for the advice. To close the loop on this topic, I was hesitant to just start pulling it apart given my lack of experience, so ended up calling waterway. They connected me to a guy who sounded like he was building pumps in the back room as we spoke and he directed me to 4 through screws to pull out from the back (dry end) of the pump. After removing those I could rotate the discharge, though the basket turned with it. After a bit more inspection I found that removing the lid and pump basket exposed a horseshoe shape clip that once removed allowed me to pull out the basket and re-orient it, allowing a direct connection to the filter.

Except, the discharge was a slightly different size than my old pump so the existing union did not connect them. I contemplated just going back to my old pump until I could get the proper connection (figuring it would need to be ordered) but then decided to hit a few local hardware stores and pool stores with no luck. Finally, as I was about to give up I remembered that there were a number of larger pool stores in the area (several American Sales, Leslies, etc) so made some phone calls and finally found someone who had the part and now I am all hooked up and open.... except for some very minor leaks here and there, but those are for another time.