Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Balancing at first pool!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing at first pool!!

First off i have intex 20x52 ultra with SWG.

-I've read pool school many times.

-My pool called for 220lbs of salt. I added 200lbs to be on safe side. The SWG has not given me the low salt code and says "working" so I guess i'm good.

-I just added stabilizer the other day.

-The main problem I am having is that the pool doesn't seem to be producing much FC. I checked the pool yesterday evening and it had about zero chlorine in it, most probably due to me not having much stabilizer in it at the time. The SWG ran last night for 4 hours and so i checked it this morning and it was on the low side, which i figured it shouldn't be since no sun has been on the pool since the SWG ran. Should i add some liquid chlorine or bleach to help get this pool running?
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing at first pool!!

Quote Originally Posted by thedarktitan
    First off i have intex 20x52 ultra with SWG.

-I've read pool school many times.

-My pool called for 220lbs of salt. I added 200lbs to be on safe side. The SWG has not given me the low salt code and says "working" so I guess i'm good.

-I just added stabilizer the other day.

-The main problem I am having is that the pool doesn't seem to be producing much FC. I checked the pool yesterday evening and it had about zero chlorine in it, most probably due to me not having much stabilizer in it at the time. The SWG ran last night for 4 hours and so i checked it this morning and it was on the low side, which i figured it shouldn't be since no sun has been on the pool since the SWG ran. Should i add some liquid chlorine or bleach to help get this pool running?
    I would. You should always maintain the minimum FC level for your CYA, no matter what the source. If the SWG can't keep up, give it a boost with the jug.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

thedarktitan:

What is the temperature of your pool water? SWG really don't get going until water temperature hits 70F or so. If your water is below that temperature, you may need to add supplemental doses of liquid bleach/chlorine.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for the quick response.

-The pool temp yesterday at 5 was around 70 degrees.

-Could maybe someone help me with how much liquid chlorine or bleach i should. I tried to use the pool calculator, but was a slight bit confused. Which would be better to use (bleach or liquid chlorine)?
    24x54 Saltwater 8000 (thepoolfactory), Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1.5Hp 1-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, AquaBot Pura 4X

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by thedarktitan
    Which would be better to use (bleach or liquid chlorine)?
    Both are essentially the same product. The difference is the concentration level of the active ingredient sodium hypochlorite. Liquid chlorine has the higher concentration. Liquid bleach will work just as well, you just need more of it than you would liquid chlorine. If using bleach, stick with plain bleach (no fragrances or thickeners).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

I imagine bleach will be the cheapest option. Should I add it where the pump shoots water out or where it sucks water in? Also how much bleach should I add??

7. Back To Top    #7

Where the water enters the pool (the return). Use the Pool Calculator, link in my sig...if you need help figuring it out post back.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

I tried to use the pool calculator, couldn't really get the answer or understand what i was looking for. My pool has 8650 gallons of water. So could you please help me figure out how much bleach to add. I plan on going to work once i get off. Again I have the SWG but, I want to add some bleach to help it get started.

(intex ultra 20x52)

9. Back To Top    #9

I just got home and did some testing. The SWG ran for 4 hours last night and the pump for 6. I tested with hth and the intex strips (i know i know i need to buy a good test kit, but this is what i have for now.) Note we have not gotten in the pool since we filled it on Sat/Sunday.

TH - 0

FC - 0-0.5

pH - 7.8+ on HtH strips - 6.8-7.2 on Intex strips

TA - 80-120

CYA - 30-50 (I still have some in a sock inside the pool)

Salt - 1840 - My instructions called for 220. I added 200. I figured the SWG with give me the low signal, but it hasnt.

Copper - 0.1-0.2

I have another bag of salt
    I also went and bought a thing of walmart bleach on my way home.

10. Back To Top    #10

For the calculator put your volume at the top, your current test results down the left and your target you would like down the right. At the bottom pick your goals to that the recommended ranges show.

You want to keep the FC at least 3ppm, so starting with 0ppm with a target of 6ppm, would be 78 oz of 8.25% bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for the response. I've tried using the pool calculater, but struggled with it. I wonder if I have enough salt?

12. Back To Top    #12

What does the SWG desire for salt level? That looks pretty low to me.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I didn't see it on the instructions. I added 200lbs it called for 220lbs. I guess i may add a few cups of bleach tonight..

14. Back To Top    #14

What called for 220 lbs of salt? The poolcalculator? What was your target salt level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

The swg instruction booklet. I don't know what my target level is I just want to get some fc in my pool. I keep reading and reading and I'm feeling more and more lost....

16. Back To Top    #16

That is weird ... I guess it all came as a package deal with the pool ... somehow the manual knows the volume of your pool. If we assume that is correct, 220 lbs would put the salt just over 3000 ppm which sounds normal.

Where did that salt number come from?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

-Yea i got the number from a salt test strip. You know i figured if it was that low the SWG would not be able to run and give me an error code, but it doesnt it says its working.
    -I bought 121 oz jug of bleach. I am thinking about going to pour half of it in the pool and see where that gets me..

18. Back To Top    #18

I did some testing a little bit ago. Yesterday I had a FC level of 0 with my SWG running 4 hours. Last night i poured about a half jug of walmart bleach in the pool. The sun has not been out much of any today. Tell me what yall think

TH - 0
    FC - 6.8-7.2 intex test strips / 7.5 hth test strips
    TA - 90-120
    CYA - 30-50 - I still have a sock in the pool with some in it. Should i keep it in there or go ahead and take it out.
    Copper - 0.1
    Salt - 1840 - This is still low, but my SWG has yet to give me the low salt signal.

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't think you have the numbers labelled correctly. That FC number looks like a pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

my apologies here they are again:

TH - 0
    FC - 6 intex test strip / 5-10 hth test strips
    pH - 6.8-7.2 intex test strips / 7.5 hth test strips
    TA - 90-120
    CYA - 30-50 - I still have a sock in the pool with some in it. Should i keep it in there or go ahead and take it out.
    Copper - 0.1
    Salt - 1840 - This is still low, but my SWG has yet to give me the low salt signal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast