Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1700rpm for skimmer and vacuum on VS3050 normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

1700rpm for skimmer and vacuum on VS3050 normal?

I just had a VS3050 installed and am trying to find out how low I can run it at with my skimmer and dedicated vacuum lines open, and still get good vacuuming. Right now it looks like the floor is about 1700rpm. At 1500rpm I have to shut off the skimmer line to get good vacuuming. Does that sound about right? The pump sounds about like a diaphragm aquarium pump at that speed, just a low hum. I have 2" plumbing and just the skimmer and vacuum lines (main drain goes into skimmer). Filter is a Mytilus 150sq ft cartridge, returns are four in the pool and four jets in the attached spa. Pool is 15k gallon in-ground gunite with attached spa. I'd be very happy if I could reduce my electricity usage by 75%. Old pump was a 2hp Pentair Challenger (way oversized).
    15k IG gunite w/attached spa, Pentair VS-3050 pump, PacFab Mytilus 150 cartridge filter, The PoolCleaner 2X suction cleaner, Liquidator still in box in garage

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    1700 rpm while vacuuming sounds plausible, but you presumably aren't vacuuming all the time and so could run at a lower speed when you aren't vacuuming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School