Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing equipment - should it be changed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing equipment - should it be changed?

This is actually for a buddy of mine, who just bought a house that didn't winterize the 12K inground fiberglass pool. He's been told the filter, pump, and heater all need to be replaced. In honesty, we had a pretty mild winter here in SE Michigan, although it did get pretty cold for a good stretch. First question is does that sound like what to expect if you don't winterize - all that equipment to be broke?

The second question is, since he's got to replace it, should he make any changes? It's all Hayward equipment - a 1HP super pump, an s244t sand filter and an H150 heater. No idea how old the original equipment was either, but, in a green field, would you replace any of this stuff with different sizes, etc or a different manufacturer?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing equipment - should it be changed?

The best way to tell would be to fill everything up and try to turn it on. If its all leaking, it needs replacing.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana
    The second question is, since he's got to replace it, should he make any changes?
    If replacing the pump is deemed necessary, I would get a 2-speed pump instead of a single-speed. That will save on the electric bill. Two-speed pumps are becoming much more popular and, as a result of increased production, they do not cost that much more than single-speeds.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana
    This is actually for a buddy of mine, who just bought a house that didn't winterize the 12K inground fiberglass pool. He's been told the filter, pump, and heater all need to be replaced. In honesty, we had a pretty mild winter here in SE Michigan, although it did get pretty cold for a good stretch. First question is does that sound like what to expect if you don't winterize - all that equipment to be broke?
    I suppose if someone eyeballed the equipment and could see where the pump housing and the filter had cracked it would be possible to condemn it right away.

I'd try starting it up and see what happens. If it's already trashed, he's got to replace it anyway and no more harm will be done. If it's not trashed, he's saved $$$ and has gained valuable insight into the pool service's business practices.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I'd try starting it up and see what happens. If it's already trashed, he's got to replace it anyway and no more harm will be done. If it's not trashed, he's saved $$$ and has gained valuable insight into the pool service's business practices.
    My thoughts exactly! Check it out, at least for a short test. At this stage, it couldn't hurt.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.