shutoff valves around injection point?

Jun 20, 2012
I'm going to install a Stenner pump for chlorine dosing. The manual suggests a shutoff valve on each side of the injection point for when the injector needs to be cleaned. Is that necessary? If so, are there alternatives?

p.s. What is involved in cleaning the injector? I assume it needs to be unscrewed from the tapped inlet on the pipe. Is that going to cause any undue wear on the threads that were tapped into the pipe?

No need in typical pool situations, just turn off the pump, or if dealing with an above ground pool turn off whatever valve you might use when you need to clean your pump basket.

Ike

p.s. typically you will have PVC pipe with the female threads and a nylon injection valve fitting which will be much softer than the PVC so most of the wear will be on the injection valve fitting.

Thanks Ike, I'd like to put a 90 degree elbow at the injection point so to lower the profile to lessen the chance of it getting broken by accidentally hitting it. I see nylon 1/4" MNPT/FNPT elbows (that I'd screw the Stenner injector into). Would a nylon elbow work? Would I need to use teflon tape or pipe dope (any particular kind) or something else or nothing, considering any leak would be bleach? I haven't found PVC connectors in a quick search.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.